• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plenum spacers?

Not to put you on the hook Ben, but...
    Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Would you like me to send you the AutoCAD file? Might need a little work to get them to work flawlessly with a laser/waterjet, but I have the basic design already done.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Todd i'll take a set as well

Comment

I'd be interested in a set if someone makes run of them.
        1999 Grand Prix SE 3100
        1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Ext cab. 5.2L
        1977 Dodge Power Wagon, Short bed, Fuel injected 360, 4spd, Dana 60's, Little Red Express bed.

Comment

I can get some cut on a water jet. I would not recommend the laser for aluminum so thick and the precision required.

But let me hunt down a 1" thich slab of aluminum and I'll see what I can do. No promises though.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

something like this perhaps?

6061 aluminum + 1" thick + c&c machined....

a wee bit on the expensive side i'm afraid but i can get them made up. i've already done a set for Don as well.
            got zap-straps?
            89 Z24
            13.886 @ 96.16 mph
            street trim - slicks

Comment

I was thinking "why?" but then I saw the nitrous injectors. Makes it easy to go back to a stock setup without permanently modifying your intakes. Other than that, I guess if you wanted more low end torque you'd opt for them. But for HP I don't think you'd gain anything. That's one reason why the 3500 plenum makes more power, it shortens the overall runner length.
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I will have them made next month if that is ok for their schedule. Im not sure what thickness I want to use yet though.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Well, for n20, it would be interesting. My other wish is to raise the UIM, and to raise the TB... Will prolly do without at first tho... Costs are just too prohibitive when folks I talk to are asking for ~$300

The response "Hell no" comes to mind.
                  Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by tejohnson
                    Well, for n20, it would be interesting. My other wish is to raise the UIM, and to raise the TB... Will prolly do without at first tho... Costs are just too prohibitive when folks I talk to are asking for ~$300

The response "Hell no" comes to mind.
                    really?? damm i got both mine done for 140$ CAN :P
                    got zap-straps?
                    89 Z24
                    13.886 @ 96.16 mph
                    street trim - slicks

Comment

Todd: why would you want to raise the UIM? Just curious as to the application/reason.
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Ill buy it

Comment

What are the known benefits of a plenum spacer? So under the UIM?

That would be interesting with my zex setup. Anyway to prevent intake puddling would be great.
                          Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
                          02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                          www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

It would increase the runner length, plus raise the UIM allowing for more airflow and cooler UIM temps. I don't really think you can see much of a power gain in increasing the runner length on these motors . . .

On the other hand, I'm currently running spacers made from water-sealed and painted plywood; they act more as heat insulators more than anything else, and along with some thermal guard under the plenum, I've managed to reduce heat soak of the UIM quite a bit. With the motor running full hot for about an hour, there's still almost a 20-30* difference in temps from the UIM to the LIM.
                            N-body enthusiast:
                            {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                            {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                            {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

wood spacers!! now there's getting creative!! My intake plenum is cool to the touch when I stop and pop the hood. Now if I let it sit and idle then it gets hot. I wonder how much of a difference cooling the plenum really does.

And extending the runners on these motors doesn't seem to help. In fact shortening them helps from what I've seen. If we had really realy long runners (huge spacers) then maybe you could notice a difference, but likely it would just help the low-end and torque.
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                              X