Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I have to get new rods

I have a 01 3400 I need to know if I need new rods. Hints the word "Need"
    I really dont want to put any more money into my car.

Mod list for my car.......
    RSM 8 psi supercharger
    .030 overbore
    Forged Arias low compresion pistons
    Stage 1 Milzy Motorsports camshaft
    Light weight alluminum push rods
    Otherguys headers
    Borla Cat back
    62mm MAF
    Ported and Polished upper and lower intake
    Cold air intake
    Custom PCM

I might be thinking about adding NOS also.

Questions???

What is a safe amount of NOS to shoot into my engine with the current mods??

Will my stock rods hold up with or with out NOS?

And last but not leats, let me know if you think I should need to add any more parts to my car. Hint the word NEED????

Thanks I will apreciate you feed back.

Are light weight aluminum pushrods a good idea? How strong are they? You want stiffness over weight reduction on that side of the valvetrain.

Need? Dunno, but I wouldn't run that setup on stock rods. Deburred, polished, shotpeened stock rods with ARP bolts, sure. Stock may work fine though so I can't say its needed, but you can try it and let us know:P
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I would assume chromolly on the pushrods... Are pushrods even made in aluminum?

When it comes to the stock connecting rods, the benefit of going with somethin new is for protection of your investment in a piston (imo). If you use a stock rod, the wrist pins are pressed in. If you have to have them pressed out in the future, your pistons may be damaged in the process...
      Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Durability should command just as much of your attention as power production. Looks like you've already spent plenty of thought on power production. I see very little on your list concering durability. N2O and supercharging? Yipes! You WILL need better rods at a minimum. And the bottom end needs lots more attention overall.

Here's a short list of questions you might consider:
        What oil pump?
        What oil pan?
        Using a dry sump? A wet sump?
        Using a main girdle?
        What crank?
        What piston pins?
        Floating/pressed pins?
        What rod bolts?
        What connecting rods?

Don't cheap out on durablity. Broken motors don't make much power, are huge consumers of cash, and mega bummers besides.
        He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Comment

Yes, the push rods are chro moly, I bought them from milzymotorsports.
          I was told they would help the engine rev faster, and reach higher RPMS if needed.

I want to thank all of you for you input, please keep this furum going with suggestions Im kinda out of Ideas, thanks

Comment

not a fan of the RSM S/C kit... i would suggest a turbo instead and i would also recomend you get a power tuner over a flashed PCM

Comment

Working...
            X