Crack in my heads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in my heads!

I was milling my heads today and i noticed small crack that ran in from the spark plug hole toward the combustion camber and run deeps into the spark plug hole. What a bummer!! I have another set of heads but now i need to spend a day tearing them down and cleaning them up.

Now that i have a set of junk heads has anyone ever cut these heads apart to see how much room there is for porting? Just wondering. I have access to a band saw to do it but dont really have the time. Would anyone be intrested in seeing this?

sure, free carnage is always good

Comment

Its been done at least once that I know of on Gen 3 heads. I know we have pics up on the site of cut-up Gen 2 and DOHC heads. I don't think we have any of the Gen 3 heads, but I know it has been done.

But yeah, if you want to hack them up and take a bunch of hi-res pics, send them over and we'll get them up.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Update

OK so i tore down my other set of heads today. And guess what cracks in the same places! So i set one of the heads up on the pressure tester but didn’t get a chance to spray in down with soap. Is this common with these heads? I just hope i have two heads that don’t leak!

And of topic- Hey Brad "bszopi" dose you beretta run on stock tune?

Comment

Yeah, its still the stock 3100 PCM with stock programming.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

To answer your other question, yes this is a common place to crack... I have a set just like this as my spare set... I don't know if I would ever trust them with juice but who knows. Other common issues is low spots on the gasket area near cylinder 2 and 5's exhaust ports.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yup, the machine shop I use has had more than a couple sets with cracks in them. I won't use anything with a crack in it.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified
                To answer your other question, yes this is a common place to crack... I have a set just like this as my spare set... I don't know if I would ever trust them with juice but who knows. Other common issues is low spots on the gasket area near cylinder 2 and 5's exhaust ports.

Yes, I've noticed exhaust leaks in those places as well with my headers. Hopefully I fixed the problem by switching back to stock metal gaskets (modified of course) and locking header bolts.

I haven't noticed cracks in any of my heads so far, but I have also heard of this problem from other people. Anyone know what causes it? Maybe overheating, or sudden cold water from the radiator in winter when the thermostat opens?
                '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                X