Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the pushrods when decking the heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the pushrods when decking the heads?

What is the most you can deck 3400 heads and still use the stock pushrods? Anyone have expierence with this subject?
    2000 Grand Am GT
    2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

I think you run into problems with valve clearance before you need to change pushrods.
    97 Cavalier RS
    3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

If you were using adjustable rockers it wouldn't be a problem. With the self aligning rockers though they automatically set height and valve lash. If you had solid lifters this could cause a problem, but you have hydraulic lifters so I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. They usually don't take a lot off when they deck heads, and any change in height that small should be absorbed by the give in the pushrod seat on top of the lifter. In other words you should be fine with the stock pushrods, at least thats my take on it. Anyone have any other thoughts on it? I know a few people have had their heads decked and I can't remember hearing anyone talking about having to change pushrods.
      '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
      '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
      13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
      Gotta love boost!

Comment

I have my heads milled .010. Pushrods were never before or are an issue. The maximum spec mill is .010. Now I know of a couple other people that have gone to .020 cut with no problem either.

BTW: You mill heads not deck them.
        Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

hmmm, could this possibly be a question relating to a milzy head purchase? just a guess since he offers to take up to .020 off the heads......

Comment

I have never heard of anyone needing to get different pushrods due to milling the heads. You will take too much off the head before you'll need different pushrods.
            Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
            fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

I wrecked a set of lifters by using stock pushrods with the non adjustable rockers on my 91 3.1L after planing the heads and block, and putting a Crane cam in.
              With just a normal head planing, you should be fine. Repair shops do it all the time just to straighten warped heads and never put new pushrods in after.
              As to how much you can take off, don't go too nuts. Some guys here have gone crazy with it (Colin) but you can get into problems down the road.
              Also the lifters are only suppose to have a certain amount of pre load.
              So how much material you take off the head basically adds right to your lifter pre load. I'm sure it's not exact, but you get the idea.
              Good luck!
              Franz

1990 Z24-NA 3.1L
              14.72 @ 92.24 MPH
              14.89 @ 94.92 MPH

The boost is coming....

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8ING
                Some guys here have gone crazy with it (Colin)

Comment

Working...
                X