X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions?

Before:

After:

This is just the first pass. It will take a little while to get everything smoothed out, and I will also be installing screens.

Looking at the before pic, you can see down in Cyl #3. Cylinders 3, 5, 2, & 4 have a sharp ledge on the main bearing bulkheads... Had anyone ever tried to radius the egde and smooth off some of the casting flash?
    Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

put that Turbo back on ebay and sell it to some sucker, those things are junk, with very poor build quality and parts.

side note, i've been to parkersburg a few times, i have friends who live there, heh heh. You guys have a pretty decent fireworks show every year, except for the one where the barge blew up and fireworks started shooting toward the crowd, that year sucked, heh heh.
    26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by RebelGT
      put that Turbo back on ebay and sell it to some sucker, those things are junk, with very poor build quality and parts.

side note, i've been to parkersburg a few times, i have friends who live there, heh heh. You guys have a pretty decent fireworks show every year, except for the one where the barge blew up and fireworks started shooting toward the crowd, that year sucked, heh heh.

Actually, the Turbo works really well for me

And as a side note, the barge didn't explode. More like all the fireworks went off at once... Bet the Zambelli family was shitting themselves as they were jumping into the Ohio river.
      Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Don't say I didn't warn you about that turbo, do a quick google search, and you'll find that they're notorious for selling shitty product.

example

I'd call that an explosion..... I was on the shoreline when it happened, scary as shit.
        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by RebelGT
          Don't say I didn't warn you about that turbo, do a quick google search, and you'll find that they're notorious for selling shitty product.

example

I'd call that an explosion..... I was on the shoreline when it happened, scary as shit.
          Heh... THat would suck, but that is not the compressor housing I have. It is a single casting. I have also had the entire housing off, and the wheel is quite different. Looks like that one really sucks tho.
          Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Screens epoxied in... Still have to polish up...

I decided just to go ahead and radius the main bearing bulkheads. Plan to smooth them up a tad too...

Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Time to wash and get it back... Any thoughts? Look OK?

Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

i'll send mine your way...
                If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

I would assume polishing up the lifter gallery is for better oil drainage... but what's the purpose of the screens? to cause the oil to run out to the center of the openings rather than just off the edges?

looks damn good btw
                  -Tony | gtsdurango.net
                  '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
                  '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
                  '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
                  '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

Well, hopefully better distribution is going to be a side effect of the screen, but it is typically done to top any foreign objects from making it's way to the cam, crank, etc. (like broken valvetrain parts)
                    Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Never seen screens like that before- what're they held in with?

Comment

It's windage screen... Held in with a high temp epoxy, similar to JB Weld. (The shop I am working with buys it in bulk & uses it in circletrack engines)
                        Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

lucky bastard.... you know im gonna come steal your car when you get it together right? lol, thats just not fair!

Comment

Little bit off topic but... I know you had problems with your cam bearings. What kind of condition where the crank bearings in? Have you had the SBC rods narrowed yet? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if anyone has thought of widening the crank journals to accept the rods instead. I don't know how hard this would be on a 60v6 crank, but if you could do it that would let you use wider bearings for greater load bearing surface, which would be good for a highly boosted engine. It might be a little more expensive than just narrowing the rods, but if you were having the crank worked over anyway it wouldn't add much to the cost.

I read an interesting article the other day about a honda K20A2 motor that put down 312whp and 220ft/lbs in NA form and was built to spin to 10,000rpm. They used H22 rods because they had the same rod journal diameter but where wider (for the same reason as above), and the H22 bearing size just happened to be the same as the standard size used in NASCAR SBC engines. I don't know if the NASCAR engines use the same size as a standard SBC rod, but if they do that would really open up your choices for some race proven extreme duty bearings. Maybe overkill depending on what your plans are for the motor, but it would be sweet wouldn't it?
                            '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                            '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                            13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                            Gotta love boost!

Comment

Crank and Rod bearings were in perfect condition.... Just the two center cam journals that were the problem areas. Going with stock replacement Clevite-77 bearings for the crank and rods after they mic the journals and openings. Looking at SBC (Wider) bearings for the cam. Dilimma is wether to install at the 2 o'clock position like Clevite recommends, or at 4-5 o'clock position as it seems GM is recommending, given the cam bearing housings are grooved all the way around. I would assume it (oil hole) would be aligned to the optimal position where there is less load.
                              Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X