Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L32 running rich...

Hi guys, maybe somebody can give me an idea here. Let me explain:

I have an L32 (I think it is a 95) that came out of a Camaro. The engine has been installed in a '72 TR6. It has the original 5 speed. I have changed temp sensor, MAP sensor and put two brand new O2 sensors (single wire). I have also installed a brand new set of injectors.

The engine finally came to life recently but I have a problem with it running rich BEFORE it goes into closed loop. I have a scanner that I have been able to use, and sure enough, while in open loop it idles rich. THe RPM's are spot on, and it does fire up right off the bat. Do I have the wrong O2 sensors? Is there any other sensor I might have wrong?

I did check codes using the scanner, and the engine has NO codes being reported. I am very familiar with LT1's and this is my first experience with an L32. Do these engines idle rich until going into closed loop?

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!!

joe

RE: L32 running rich...

how rich are we talking here??? i know by motor always runs rich before going into closed loop.

Comment

And, you do realize that an L32 is a S/C 3800 from a 2004+ GP, right?
      \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
      1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
      1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

WHats your idle vacume, IAC counts, O2 volts, and TPS volts?
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

How rich? Well, I see quite a bit of black smoke when the car first starts. Sure enough, when it goes to closed loop, the black smoke goes away, the engine idles down nicely and all is good again.

DEI37: am a confused with your statement. I have a set of Factory Manuals for the '95 Camaro. The RPO for the 3.4 V6 is clearly stated in that book as L32. I realize there is a 3800 V6, but what do you mean?

I will take some readings for the numbers you ask.

Thanks to all, and if you all could explain the deal with the RPO, I would appreciate t.

joe

Comment

I wonder then, if there are two L32 engine codes. The 2004+ Grand Prix GTP's with the 260HP S/C 3.8 has an engine code of L32 as well. That would be weird if GM did something like that, especially with engines that close together, agewise. Sorry if I added to the confusion, or offended with a 3.8 engine post, but if your info is incorrect, then you need to know. If it's not, just ignore me!
            \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
            1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
            1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

DEI37

No offence man!! Not at all!! I guess this is the reason we come seeking info. OK, fair enough. I agree with you about the use of the same code. Then again, there was an LT-1 engine back in the seventies, and then we had the LT1 in f-bodies and the Vette.

I'm curious now. If anyone can clear this up, let us know!!!

joe

Comment

the GM FWD engines are LA1's I was told... I guess they are in the same family as the L32... people do swaps with parts between them, though it takes some minor modifications I am told.

Comment

Chevy Camaro Pictures and Information including VIN, RPO Codes, Trim Tag, Engine and Protect-o-plate

Not all GM FWD engines are LA1s...
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by DEI37
                    I wonder then, if there are two L32 engine codes.
                    this is true, the 3.4L in the 93-95 camaro/firebird were L32's and so are the GTP motors you have discussed

and to the original post... my camaro allways runs pig rich till it heats up
                    3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

Joe,
                      Glad to hear of another Brit car guy with a 60 degree V6. I am not knocking this website, I think its great for 60 degree v6 info. I would like to encourage you let us know of your existance at:
                      The Dark Side: V8, V6 & 4 Cylinder engine conversions for MGB, MGA, Midget and all other MG models. Purists beware!

there are sunbeam, MG and Spitfire converters there as well as others which may be able to give you some 'other' things to do with your conversion.

We would love to see pictures of your Triumph TR(Vee)6. I bet you knocked about 100 pounds out of the front end of that car!

I have a number of L32 3.4L motors in MGBs, S10s and even a Triumph Spitfire.

As far as the black smoke, its not normal to be Heavy Black smoke out the tail pipe, but a little rich never hurts. What kind of fuel pressure are you running? The L32 should have 40 w/vacuum and 45-47 when the throttle is floored (or blipped) or when the key is on and the motor is not running.

-BMC.
                      MG & MGB V6 + V8 Engine Conversion Shop

1982 Chevrolet S10 long box with another L32 SFI!
                      1980 MGB with Camaro L32 3.4L SFI V6
                      2000 Venture 3400 (for her)
                      Spitfire L32 3.4L
                      "Experimentals"
                      and more conversions all the time.

Comment

SOLVED!

Guys:

I just wanted to let you all know the problem has been solved. As all suggested, I looked at many things. Sure enough, it was a vacuum leak. This was one of the most difficult things to solve, because the leak was very small but strong enough to cause a rich condition.

The proeblem was with the small plastic line that comes off the back of the intake and splits to the MAP and to the fuel pressure regulator. There was a tiny leak there, and that caused the problems. I replaced all the plastic lines with brand new rubber lines, with a new set of plastic "T" fittings.

Well, the engine runs very strong now. I appreciate all the help I was given here.

regaards,
                        joe

Comment

Working...
                        X