Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt1 rods?!

Hi!

The weakets link in these engines ar piston/rod..
    And a what to know if it is possible to have lt1 rods instead and how mutch better are those??
    ...Pain Is Just Weakness Leaving The Body...

RE: Lt1 rods?!

actualy, rods are dam good in these little motors. they are factory forged rods rated for 7000rpm. beam polish them and install arp rod bolts and you have a very nice set of rods.

you can use small block chevy rods in your motor, however it requires some machining. the crank end of the rod has to be machined down .200" and you need custom pistons because of the larger wrist bin bore.

Comment

oki

but the org. rods takes 400hp..right?
      how mutch do the lt1:s take??

Comment

I have no proof that stock fail at 400 hp, do you? I dunno what they are good to
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

nobody realy knows what they fail at, however i have heard the 400hp number a lot. even so, it takes a hell of a lot ot get 400hp from one of these motors.

Comment

no, I dont got any proof but thats the number Ive heard the most...
            But I wounder what a LT1 rod handels??

Comment

what is your objective?
              Stephanie
              92 GTZ ~SupermoddedW41GTZ~

Comment

I whant to know if the lt1 rods are good for mutch mor hp and rpm...
                because Im not shure how mutch hp this engine will end up with...

Comment

well, what are you doing to the motor??? i can tell ya, if you arent running 20psi+ of boost, your not gonna be making 400hp.

the lt1 rods may be a bit stronger, however it realy isnt needed. the only time i have even seen a 660 throw a rod out is when it spun a rod bearing.

Comment

LT1 rods will not work. You need early small block chevy small journal rods.

Just rememebr any HP numbers quoted for V8 rods need to be scaled down for a V6...for instance, if the rods are good to ~400HP on a V8, that is only 300HP for a V6.

Marty
                    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
                    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
                    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
                    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
                    Originally posted by Aaron
                    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

How early SB??

Comment

i think up to 85 is what you would be looking for. 327 "pink" rods are a good rod of choice.

Comment

How mutch Hp/rpm does those handel??

Comment

They stopped using small-journal rods a lot sooner than '85. It was back in the 60's they were used. To my knowledge, the strong factory "pink" rods were never available in a small journal application. It will be more cost effective to use a modified aftermarket rod, such as the Crower sportsman or similar. The costs involved in reconning a set of roriginal SBC rods, along with the machine work involved to narrow them, will make them almost as expensive as aftermarket. Plus, even the strongest stockers aren't much better than stock 660 rods.

Marty
                            '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
                            '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
                            '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
                            '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
                            Originally posted by Aaron
                            This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

ok, just to verify.... i was quite certain that the rods in our engines were forged, but i got an admin on a different site tellin me otherwise. Its a 95 3.4 camaro engine. I've seen all along that the rods are forged but hes tellin me they arent. who's right? sorry for the noob question, but this issue is bugging me...

Comment

Working...
                              X