No announcement yet.

Weakest component on a 3400 block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(IMO-the 3400 would stop making power after 6.5Krpm anyway...if it would be a 2800 hybrid..then I say go for it).
    Speaking of which. What's the displacement of a 3400 with a 2.8L crank?
    97 Cavalier RS
    3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

Re: RE: Re: Weakest component on a 3400 block?

Originally posted by TurboZ24
      The 5-speed will not shift at high rpm. The auto's are rated at a max input shaft speed of 6200 rpm.
      Don't you shift higher then 7500?
      Rob
      \'91 Chevrolet Beretta GT 3400 5 speed
      R/t .506
      60\' 2.195
      330\' 6.138
      1/8 9.390 @ 76.48
      1000\' 12.183
      1/4 14.553 @ 94.01
      Http://www.domesticcrew.com/660

Comment

He installed a cam in eric99gt's (SN on GAGT) car, who stated that he had heads from you. And here is Milzy's comment...

"i hate to be negative about someone else's product, but his heads are quite restrictive on the exhaust. i didn't have time to get them flowed, but i know for a fact ours flow a lot more."

That was on page 29 of the 3x00 Cam thread. I think he might have said something else as well, I just didn't go digging anymore.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Yeah, and that's why I say it does't shift at that rpm. The 1/2 shift in both trannies I've had just doens't engage or gate until the engine spins down. Slows us down at the track, waiting on that 1/2.
          Curtis
          91\' Turbo Z24
          http://www.turboz24.com

Comment

now all i care about is a quick 1/4 mile, would it be beneficial to switch to a solid roller cam and gold rocker arms or should i stick with hydraulic, and would it i have to get anything esle specific done besides cam and rockers

Comment

Rollers valve train is a must for every ounce of HP. Solid or hydrolic? Well depends on your engine configuration and cam profile. Solids are resoved for high rpm(6K+rpm) since they don't pump up like hydrolic but they need ajusting every now and then if flat tappet or for fine tunning. Hydrolic are for lower rpm power (under 6Krpm) and street use.
              88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

from what i have seen on dyno sheets the 3400's roll off at 6200 so there is really no point in going over that.
                Have the crank balanced and knife edged.with rods and pistons you will be set.
                Donesic Disurbance
                Grand Am 3400

Comment

Sure, if you keep it stock. With the right mods this motor will make power past that.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Re: Weakest component on a 3400 block?

Originally posted by 91BerettaGT
                    the guy with the grand am only revved to 6500 and pulled a 14.1 with a 2.2 60 footer and that was in like 80 degree weather. (stage 2 cam/heads/ported intake manifolds TB and headers.) His motor in my car would give colin a run for his money
                    True i'm shifting at 6500 (actually closer to 6600), but with the tranny slip (damn automatics), I'm hitting 6800. I've set my limiters at 7200 (fuel & spark).

If you look at my dyno graph, the power peaks at around 6000, but doesn't drop off. stays pretty flat. I had the guy running the dyno to stop at 7000 and the power didn't drop off at all.

The only reason I'm shifting so high is for the gear change. The power starts to climb at around 4300 rpm, so when i'm in the next gear, I want to be in the power band. Generally I'm starting my next gear at around 4500.

I'm still running the stock pushrods and the bottom end is still stock. So is the tranny.

IMHO, the tranny is going to be the first thing to go. Milzy is coming up with a 4T65E conversion kit (unconfirmed). Hope this works out!!!!

Also a few things to correct in your post. That run was made in 90 degree weather (not 80) and the mod list is missing one very important piece. Alot of tuning was done to get those times (HPTuners).... I still don't have it right I have probably made it worse since I don't know what i'm doing, but can't afford to pay someone!!

Sorry if I went off topic.
                    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

HPTuners.com
                    MilzyMotorsports.com
                    GrandsOntario.com

Comment

I've also been talking to 1QUICKHATCH. Whom i'd rather buy from but I want at the same time nothing but the best for my car, so if he can get me what milzy is offering, cheaper, or same price, I would get it from him.
                      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha

Sorry, I had to laugh at that comment.

I've seen some of Scotts "ported" heads, and they are not, they have been cleaned up, however.

Anyway, I've seen what Colin can do, from time slips and comments from some of his customers. Colin is the man, when it comes to 60° (pushrod) porting, along with experimentation of valvetrain and a few other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven
                        I've also been talking to 1QUICKHATCH. Whom i'd rather buy from but I want at the same time nothing but the best for my car, so if he can get me what milzy is offering, cheaper, or same price, I would get it from him.

I've seen some of Scotts "ported" heads, and they are not, they have been cleaned up, however.

Anyway, I've seen what Colin can do, from time slips and comments from some of his customers. Colin is the man, when it comes to 60° (pushrod) porting, along with experimentation of valvetrain and a few other projects.
                        ok, you have seen ONE set of mild heads that I have done for chris because you assembled his engine 2 years ago. I am not saying that I am the greatest ever but I do good work and I know what works on these heads from the countless hours of flow bench testing that I have done and from my customers using the heads on their cars!

just for the record if any one is wondering, Mr rook has a personal grudge against me for some reason (think its because I didn't buy his 3x00 mount, but only cause it would not work for my application...) so he tries to cut me up and flame me any chance he gets.
                        1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                        1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                        1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                        14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                        9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                        14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven

You're such an ass raven.

You can't base your opinion on ONE set of heads done a long time ago. Plus...you are biased cause you don't like Scott for some reason.
                          Anyway... Scott has since done a great job for me (proof is in the times) and for Dan (Z24dawg...proof is in the times there too)

I'm sure Colin can make some decent heads...the comment that that Milzy character made could be BS...could be true. The only feedback Scott has gotten is good feedback.
                          Dan was running 15.1's all day on a decent night...and the track was STICKY! Then he threw on Scotts Powershop Heads...ran a 14.3

I'm gonna go hunting for a 3400 top end for Scott to port for my GAGT.

Comment

I sold a 3400 to a guy with the screen name milzyz off of one of those grand am forums. He lives up near Dayton, ohio or atleast has a shop there thats were I dropped the engine off to. He said he was using the engine as a test engine for testing different camshaft regrinds I believe, seemed like a nice guy.
                            Opinions are like Assholes,......Everybody has one!

Comment

Yeah mike is a good guy, Ive known him for a few years. For the most part hes done alot of 3800 and L67 stuff and has been getting more into the 60v6 world in the past year. I know he has alot of research into what he has done and a few cars installed. The S2 Heads and cam have put out 250 on the dyno (not sure if thats crank or wheel, prob crank)

As far as how it compares to other people's stuff Im really not sure, all ive seen so far are flow numbers and a couple dyno charts. Im looking into doing a ported topend, new valve train and a more agressive cam myself now that I have completed my ODBII upgrade so Im curious to know what is out there as far as who does porting and has cams available.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
                              3400 SFI 60v6
                              FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

Comment

Originally posted by Manitcor
                                Yeah mike is a good guy, Ive known him for a few years. For the most part hes done alot of 3800 and L67 stuff and has been getting more into the 60v6 world in the past year. I know he has alot of research into what he has done and a few cars installed. The S2 Heads and cam have put out 250 on the dyno (not sure if thats crank or wheel, prob crank)

As far as how it compares to other people's stuff Im really not sure, all ive seen so far are flow numbers and a couple dyno charts. Im looking into doing a ported topend, new valve train and a more agressive cam myself now that I have completed my ODBII upgrade so Im curious to know what is out there as far as who does porting and has cams available.
                                Crank. I'm ~204 at the wheels. With some tuning help and cooler weather (dyno was done at 99*F, 114*F IAT's, 2% adjustment==> 4hp) that might be a little better.
                                All Motor 2001 GA GT1

HPTuners.com
                                MilzyMotorsports.com
                                GrandsOntario.com

Comment

Working...
                                X