Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: those who have built exhaust headers for RWD V660

Hello!

I have a few questions on building headers.

1. What size of tubing is optimal for good flow for N/A? for Turbo?
    2. Is there a tubing size difference for Turbo application?
    3. Which is better? Mild steel or Stainless Steel for this application.
    4. Are there pre-fab flanges that one can buy for this, or is it a DIY thing?
    5. Is there an "optimal length" each tube shuold be?
    Here\'s to hoping....

there are headers out there for some rwd's, what application? i know there are some from hedman for s-10's but not real sure of early camaros, ithink there my be some for later camaros. the "optimum" dimensions are 1 5/8" and i think at least 26" long but some guys go for 30 or more i think. the flange is supposed to be tough, so 3/8 -1/2" would be the way togo.

for turbo, the only reason they use a header design is for heat control, so equal length isnt as important, but for durability sake i'd use stainless.
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Winnipeger eh!

I built my own FWD Long tube equal length headers last year for my sunbird.

I used 1.625 inch (OD) primaries, @ 36.5 inches, all tubes on mysetup were within 1/4 inch of each other. I used regular mild steel, bought the collectors from www.headersbyed.com, Tubing was bought from a few sources, as I had picked up some tubing from S&S headers two years previous to modify an off the shelf grand am set, which was scrapped.
      However since I was using the 3x00 gen 3 heads I had my own header flanges made up locally.
      I believe headersbyed has gen1 iron head flanges as well.

Stainless is better, But its expensive! Build them out of mild and get them coated if its just a naturally asperated setup. If you are doing turbo or something, go the extra mile and go stainless, Its much better for withstanding the extreme temp and stress from a turbocharged system.

You can view my header build here: http://www.domesticcrew.com/colin/headers/
      Colin
      92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
      90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

v6h.o., how do your headers do clearance wise from the road?
        If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by v6h.o.
          Stainless is better, But its expensive! Build them out of mild and get them coated if its just a naturally asperated setup. If you are doing turbo or something, go the extra mile and go stainless, Its much better for withstanding the extreme temp and stress from a turbocharged system.
          This is a myth, at least from my experiance.

I built my turbo headers from mild steel, and have not had a problem with them. I used them for a year and a half, through the winter (daily driver), until I bought a new car to rebuild my truck. I'm upgrading the turbo and top end now. I may build a new set of headers to reposition the turbo, and for better flow.

I used 1.5" primaries, non-equal length, the next set will be closer to being equal length.

Comment

i thought minimizing average length was more important than equal length in a turbo application.

get the heat to the turbo asap.

Comment

equal length headers are nice for a turbocharger because then there is a steady supply of pressure pulses to help the turbo spool up smoothly

an equal length header is not nearly as beneficial to a turbo car as it is to a NA car, but it still makes a difference (though it is a small difference)
              3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

Mine are also 1 5/8" X ~30" primaries, got the flanges and tubing and bends from headers by ed. You can see part of them at

if you scroll down a ways. They are two piece - a shorty block header about 10" long, and then a long 3 into 1 collector that turns back under the frame. Mild steel, JetHot coated. Jet Hot does an excellent job IMO.
                Hamondale
                Third Rail... your ride is here.

Comment

Harmondale.... that car is sweet!! How much hp are you putting down?

Comment

BC, thanks for the comment. I don't know how much hp is at the flywheel, or being put down. There are probably 20 guys here who have a better idea of how much hp I have. The Goodwrench web site says that the 3.4 crate is 160hp if you put the stock 2.8 L 2bbl, cast iron manifolds, and single exhaust back on it. So with my intake and exhaust, I just guessed 190hp on the web site.
                    I would like to get a set of roller rockers on it and also get to a dyno and do some real tuning. So far it's all been seat of the pants, and once I got it running good, I've left it alone.
                    FI would be nice for performance, but I don't want to give up the motor cleavage look it has now. I would consider a throttle body if it could be made to come up thru the hood in exactly the same location such that I could fit my existing air cleaner. I've not looked into it in any detail.
                    The next thing is a new rearend. I crushed the old Vega rear that's stilll in it now (from the early 80s 4-cyl days) when I launched hard with a passenger on board. With just me I get no traction. This fall a narrowed Ford 8" with 3.80s and coil overs is going in, with 245-50 R14 tires. I'll bet that will hook up.
                    Then maybe I'll start back on the motor a little bit. I would love to take it to the drags, but there's not much point right now with the rearend not really up for it.
                    Chow
                    Hamondale

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

So, Stainless is good for a turbo application, but some have had success with Mild steel.

What is Jet-Hot? I know its kind of coating but what's in it?

V6h.o. - Who made your flanges? Which GM dealer are you a service tech at?
                      Here\'s to hoping....

Comment

Jet-Hot is a ceramic coating that contains some metal as well. I can't recall the details, and they don't actually give the formula or process at their web site. http://www.jet-hot.com/
                        The Tech page there is pretty salesy, and I can't comment on all of the claims they make, whether it is hype or not. Everybody does that anyway.
                        What I can say is they did my headers and I'm really happy with them. They look good, have held up well, price was reasonable for the product, turnaroud was good, on schedule they told me. I also had to have one of my header pieces reworked because of a problem that came up with clearance with one of my oil hoses. Had to have one branch rerouted, and sent back for recoat. They did that for a reasonable price as well and got it back to me quick.
                        I would go with them again when I have another project.
                        Hamondale

Comment

Originally posted by v6h.o.
                          i was under the impression that stainless while stronger is much more brittle than mild steel thus when the headers get really hot as they do when in a turbo application that they are more likely to crack when they cool down

as far as jet hot goes, ive never seen a set of headers that hasnt started rusting after a year of use with their coating on it, i would personally reccomend www.swaintech.com
                          3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

Working...
                          X