build up my 3100? or a 3400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• build up my 3100? or a 3400?

as some of you know i'm building up my 3100. but now im thinking about buying a 3400 and building that up.. i have a 95 grand prix 3100. i'm looking for a 2000 grand am 3400.. now i know my existing pulley will transfer over.. now will my aggressive grinded cam from my 3100 work with a 3400? or are they completely different? i already have P&P heads and intakes and throttlebody here. so i might just buy a rebuilt 3400 short block. But i think everything from my exisitng 3100 willl bolt over. alternator, starter and what not.

i know the newer 3400 has a little bigger bore than my older 3100 so i am thinking about getting that. what do you guys think?

what are the stock lift and duration of a stock 95 3100 camshaft?

i need serious input. i think my tranny should work just fine. i plan to use a 3400 computer. will that be a problem with my tranny? i think not though...
    Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
    www.blackbombshell95.com

Yea it is a bolt in. Dont know about the cam specs. But the 3100 cam will work in the 3400. However the cam ring and sensor did change so I think you need to use your 3100 cam sensor if you swap cams. Buying a shortblock would be a good option aswell. Tranny may be a no go. Old trannies are 4T60E while the new ones are 4T65E. It may be hit or miss
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The 3400 N bodies use a 4T45-E...so i really don't know. I would use your current computer or get a 3400 W body computer and use whatever trans that comes with. Do NOT use the 4T45-E.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for your reponses. well. i think i will probably just build up my currenT motor. that answered that quetion. .

now newer 3100 heads are the same part number as 3400 heads?

i know the newer 3400 motor puts out a little more hp than the newer 3100 motor. and i noticed that the bore of the newer 3400 is a little bigger than the newer 3100. so thats why i considered the newer 3400 motor. can i adjust my bore size?

also,whats the most aggressive that i can go with my stock cam? anyone have specs that i can grind mine to. I have a regrinded here from bluebomber but i'm not sure exactly what the specs are. this is what he send me several months ago, " #1461-- 206/212, .282/.292 lift @112 " ... and like i said before, i'm rebuilding my engine when i put this cam in. and i will tune it with my school's computer to make it idle fine. can i grind that thing any more aggressive? or am i stuck where it is at. if i'm stuck i will sell it and grind the one in my car when i do a rebuild.
        02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
        www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

the bore on the 3400 is almost .120" bigger, thats almost 1/4". thats a lot to take out, and would leave you with paper thin cylender walls, if any machine shop would do that. it would be best to start with a 3400 shortblock. you could get a complete 3400 and use it (better heads). the cam sensor thing could be an issue though, but you could use your cam sensor ring (or the entire cam if nessesary). the 3400 will run off all your existing 3100 ecm and wiring, so that isnt a worry.

and use whatever tranny ou have now. your 3100 ecm will run a modded 3100 or a 3400, whatever you decide to build up.

Comment

As long as you don't get a 2003 or newer 3400, the 3100 PCM will use either of the cam sensors. They are basically the exact same, and send the same signal to the PCM, so it doesn't care. In 03, it switched to a 3rd different design which is not compatible (from what I can tell) with the older computers.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

thanks for all my questions. so sharky: i should just buy a 3400 short block? i already have 3400 heads/intakeS/throttlebody off of a 2k grand am.. and my current 3100 cam should work just fine??? which sensor do you think would work better? the 3100 sensor or a sensor for the 2k grand am 3400? but i plan to use my 4t60e tranny with my 3100 chip. so it shouldn't be a problem?

thanks on the follow up brad.

so if i want to, if i buy the 3400 short block then i could still bore it out a little bit for more power? if so how much can i get out of it?

also if i get a 3400 short block plus use my 3400 upper end then willl all my pumps and stuff work? what all will i have to change? pulleys??

so what about increasing my cam grind?? who might know about that?
              02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
              www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

That should be more than aggressive enough. If you get much more aggressive, you'll have computer issues. Just ask anyone who ever heard my car idle with my cam regrind. If you want to know more about cams, read the 3x00 performance area of the main site which discusses cams. I'm pretty sure the grind you got is my exact specifications for a cam with good power gains potential, yet a controllable idle.
                -Brad-
                sigpic

Comment

bluebomber said that is pretty much the same grind that you have brad. i bought the cam from bluebomber.

what kind of computer issues are you talking about? my instructors were saying something about adjusting the computer so the car would run normal at idle with my cam. but i didn't say how aggressive i was going to go. so is it possible to get a more aggressive grind and still maintain normal or somewhat normal idle???

now my pumps and pulleys will work with the 3400 short block??? and most hoses and what not?
                  02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                  www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

No, mine was more aggressive than his. Mine was 214/214 where yours is 206/212. Here is a video of how mine enjoyed idling....

Does your school have a Tech-2 or something? Just wanting to know how they are going to tweak the computer to make it run better...
                    -Brad-
                    sigpic

Comment

And here is my thread on my engine swap...

That is to answer your question about what can swap over...
                      -Brad-
                      sigpic

Comment

can i have my cam grinded a little more to where yours is at? i am going to read the thread now. i believe we have tech 2 or something. when i find out i will let you know. does that thread have every mod that you have done? what does your car weigh?
                        02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                        www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

what custom valvetrain stuff did you have done? if any when how and where can i buy that stuff.
                          02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                          www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

I never touched my valvetrain. I really haven't done anything to my car in the past year and a half, besides the 3400 swap 8 months ago.

As far as the cam regrind goes, I wouldn't try to regrind a cam that has already had a regrind done. Reason is, these cams are assembled, ie the lobes are just pressure fit to the shaft. The grinding process can put some major stresses onto the lobes. That is why for a long time, most cam companies wouldn't do regrinds on assembled cams. If its not done correctly, there is a chance the lobe could become "unseated" from the shaft. Now, trying to grind a cam that has already been ground once adds that much more stress onto the lobes, and thus weakening the fit even more.
                            -Brad-
                            sigpic

Comment

how much of a difference is there between our cams? ur 214/214 to my 206/212?
                              02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                              www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Working...
                              X