ive got a 91 firebird with a 3.1 and auto overdrive
    its bone stock with about 28xxx
    will the genIII swap work on this motor
    and would it be worth the trouble for
    the hp% increase?
    imports the other white meat

if you mean top end swap
    no way not unless you use the gen 2 pistons
    other wise youll have hella high comporession and you might as well put TNT in your cylinders
    I Like V660s
    Does Chevy make beer
    ~Jayme~

Comment

Originally posted by TheProfessor
      if you mean top end swap
      no way not unless you use the gen 2 pistons
      other wise youll have hella high comporession and you might as well put TNT in your cylinders
      The compression isnt that high if you do that, around 12 or so, but if you dont have a cam for it, you'll have problems.
      Robby Whitesell
      2006 Pontiac G6 GT
      1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

yeah youd have to change pistons or cam
        I Like V660s
        Does Chevy make beer
        ~Jayme~

Comment

Oh ye of too little faith, come and I shall guide to the place of extreme joy and pleasure, the type that can only be from the fulfilling acheivement of rebuidling and then experiancing an internal combustion engine, save one like the hybrid 660.....

I know with my Franken60 build in my Jimmy, I used genII pistons, soley because I was also adding a turbocharger to the mix.

I have a genI block, genII rotating/reciprocating assembly, and a genIII top end.
          Yes, I am using a GM Performance cam, why wouldn't I?

If I built it N/A, I would have used the Speed Pro forged pistons and ran the 11.56:1 (my calculations for my exact engine), and been quite happy with it, I would have probably used an even more aggresive cam, but that wouldn't be due to the compression, ust because I would have wanted more power.

The most difficult part of a genIII top end on a genI engine, is the fact that you will HAVE to swap to DIS ignition, which means a custom trigger wheel, no biggie, if you have the equipmen, which most of us do not, I'm one of teh lucky ones that has a Grandfather that has a mill and lathe in his garage.
          The next most difficult thing IMO is the exhaust, you could use genI headers that aremeant for your Camaro, and then ave new flanges put on them, to bolt up to the genIII exhaust ports.

There is more, and if you still want to attemp this, jsut ask, and I'll write more info about it, and what you may need to do to get this running in your car.

Comment

You really don't need a mill and/or lathe. I made a trigger wheel just by getting a 1/4" slice of 6" aluminum stock (round) cut at the local metal shop, then used a drill press to drill the holes for the magnets. I have pictures around somewhere if you are interested...
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
              You really don't need a mill and/or lathe. I made a trigger wheel just by getting a 1/4" slice of 6" aluminum stock (round) cut at the local metal shop, then used a drill press to drill the holes for the magnets. I have pictures around somewhere if you are interested...
              That is true, I was mimiking the factory trigger wheel, though, and had access to teh equipment.

Doing it by other means will just take longer, to get as precise.

Comment

Working...
              X