No announcement yet.

3X00 Hybrid Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'd like to hear a response to that as well...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i would have lower compression because a 92' 3.1 has a 8:9:1 compression VS. 3100 9:6:1 and i dont think i will be going as far as pistons...
      91\' Mazda miata.

92\' Lumina (sold)

Comment

oh ok i understand you mean lower than an actuall 3X00
        i thought you ment your compression ratio would lower because of the swap
        I Like V660s
        Does Chevy make beer
        ~Jayme~

Comment

saturday im going to wake up early and go to a local junkyard and see what i can find as far as a topend. i dont know that i have enough money here at college to get a top end... but i'll find out... i just need to do some saving. GD minimum wage.
          91\' Mazda miata.

92\' Lumina (sold)

Comment

okay... what kind of valvetrain does a 3400 or a 2000+ 3100 have, as far as roller lifters, roller rockers, ect..?... this language is forgin to me.. ... ... okay and what do people put on instead of what the stock heads have to make them better?... and that brings up another question what type of rpms can i expect with this new setup with stock pistons, rods, crank, ect...? and is it worth the high rpms?... okay you guys are going to get a kick out of this... my 3.1 now shifts at 5500 with the auto tranny... and it seems like its starving up there, nor very stable.... is this what is going to happen when i put the new heads on?... but only for a larger area of the power band that is starving? EX. starving per. now -> 4000-5500 later -> 4000-6800 or 7000?
            91\' Mazda miata.

92\' Lumina (sold)

Comment

the 2000+ 3X00s have roller lifters and roller fulcrom 1.6 rockers
              ok now as far as the powerband
              the 3.1 uses a more of a ''tuned port'' intake manifold with small plenum and long low volume runners.......this manifolds sole purpose is to make as much low end torque as soon as possible but is reletively restrictive at higher rpms (5000+)
              the 3X00 intake has higer volume plenum and shorter higher vulome runners which will promote better cylinder filling at higer rpms (5000-6000) which in turn increases the hp produced but with a small loss of lower end torque
              I Like V660s
              Does Chevy make beer
              ~Jayme~

Comment

All 3x00s have roller lifters, due to the roller cam. But that's not part of the top end swap. All 96+ 3x00 heads have roller fulcrum rockers.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

he right about the lifters
                  if you want to use them you need to switch to a gen 3 block
                  I Like V660s
                  Does Chevy make beer
                  ~Jayme~

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterone2
                    saturday im going to wake up early and go to a local junkyard and see what i can find as far as a topend. i dont know that i have enough money here at college to get a top end... but i'll find out... i just need to do some saving. GD minimum wage.
                    Go to some local auto repair shops. Eventually one of them is going to have a bad 3X00 that they pulled from a car that they want to get rid of. I got lucky because I work right next to them and saw them pull the engine out and put the new one in, but maybe one of them will have one lying around. Its not like they keep the junk engines, they get rid of them. If you can't get one for free, they would probably sell you one really cheap. I think that would be a lot cheaper than getting parts from a salvage yard, but thats just my guess.

Shawn
                    90 Grand Prix STE 3.1 Intercooled Turbo-3100 Hybrid
                    K&N, Magnaflows, No Cat, Chip, FFP Pulley, H260 Cam, No EGR.
                    99 Grand Prix GT
                    K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM
                    12.665 @ 110.44 w/2.018 60', STREET TIRES, PUMP GAS!

Comment

I never gave it a thought to check at repair shops... interresting.... ... so let me get this strait... because i have a Gen II block i dont have roller lifters and with the upper end swap i will only have roller rockers up top... it is starting to make a little more sense now... today in machine shop i was starting on the egr adapter plate... first time working with aluminium... it was fun well anyway... anyone eles drooling over the new Caddy 2.8?
                      91\' Mazda miata.

92\' Lumina (sold)

Comment

Working...
                      X