No announcement yet.

LS1 Valve Springs on 3400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No not the seals that wasn't a problem the problem I came across was the seats!

On my 3400 heads (2002 grand am GT) the Valve posts (Where the valves them selfs slide through the head) have a small outdent at the tip. I had issues trying to get the seats to fit over those outdents. The springs, retainers, locks and seals all line up and appear that they should work but the seats won't clear that outdent. So that was where I left it! To my knowledge I picked up the right stuff and I was thinking that the seats I had GM send me might have been drilled wrong. But when I called to get the specs they were far from forth comming with that info so I was left with the bag.

After that I said F it and continued building the engine and getting it in the car!

Thanks for the help though!!

Comment

Can't grind the seat a little to clear the guide?
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by funky3821
        No not the seals that wasn't a problem the problem I came across was the seats!

On my 3400 heads (2002 grand am GT) the Valve posts (Where the valves them selfs slide through the head) have a small outdent at the tip. I had issues trying to get the seats to fit over those outdents. The springs, retainers, locks and seals all line up and appear that they should work but the seats won't clear that outdent. So that was where I left it! To my knowledge I picked up the right stuff and I was thinking that the seats I had GM send me might have been drilled wrong. But when I called to get the specs they were far from forth comming with that info so I was left with the bag.

After that I said F it and continued building the engine and getting it in the car!

Thanks for the help though!!
        thats odd. there is still ample room between a LS1 spring seat and the Valve Guides to slide into place. if your guide was that mushroomed at the top then your seal would not be able to install properly either. ?

got any pics?

i'd like to see the guides, and the seats. never had any issues with this before and ive done LS1 spring conversions on 5 different heads.
        Colin
        92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
        90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Ben: I guess I could but when it comes to internals I like things to be exact.....Or real close to it! So I figured I would have more then enough chances to try again and get more info on it.

Colin I currently don't have a digital camera. And by the time I get one it will be too late! But I will see if I can get a buddy to lend me is but it won't happen anytime soon. Cause sadly I have run out of car moneies for this month.

Again I appreciate all the info!
          Oh and great site

Comment

i have a 95 3100 and i already have the 3400 heads here (in my closet). i need that part # again for the SS valves again colin for a LS1 setup.
            Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
            02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
            www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Originally posted by blackbombshell95
              i have a 95 3100 and i already have the 3400 heads here (in my closet). i need that part # again for the SS valves again colin for a LS1 setup.
              #SEV-01811 -1.425 3.4 GM (2V) 94-On 4.736" (8mm) (exhaust)
              #SEV-01929 -1.760 3.4 GM (2V) 94-On 4.684 (8mm) (intake)

you need 6 of each.
              Colin

Comment

thanks. i got it written down. whats the website again? i'm going to purchase it now.

so now i got valves. what are good springs and retainers to go with it??? remember i'm going to be doing a turbo swap eventually.

btw are the valves u posted a bit bigger than stock? or a lot bigger? or might they be the same size?
                02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

they are Stock size Stainless steel replacements.
                  Colin

Comment

how about something a little bigger(valves)?? wouldn't that help my performance in the long run. since i'm doing a turbo swap from a tgp?

that isn't the LS1 setup is it?
                    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                    www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

how about something a little bigger(valves)?? wouldn't that help my performance in the long run. since i'm doing a turbo swap from a tgp?

that isn't the LS1 setup is it?
                      you dont need bigger valves. the large 1.76 inch 3400 valves are already larger than previous.
                      Colin

Comment

oh oh duh. i gotcha!!! oh btw i'm going to use a 3.1 older style chip with my car too. and so i won't have tranny/chip conflicts; i'm going to use a TGP tranny along with a tgp turbo swap manifolds and all.. should my top end swap work just fine the turbo swap??
                        02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                        www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

oh oh duh. i gotcha!!! oh btw i'm going to use a 3.1 older style chip with my car too. and so i won't have tranny/chip conflicts; i'm going to use a TGP tranny along with a tgp turbo swap manifolds and all.. should my top end swap work just fine the turbo swap??
                          nope. you cannot use the TGP manifolds/crossover with the GEN3 heads.

GEN2 manifolds have round ports where as the GEN3's are D shaped. they dont work that way. your going to have to do a complete custom crossover setup with stock gen3 manifolds, you'll have to try and use an older 3100 "Log" style rear manifold. as the newer header style manifolds wont alow flow back through the manifold back towards a crossover if you blocked off the outlet for a turbo setup.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by funky3821
                            So do you need to drill out the seats? Cause I already have this whole set-up and when I did my engine dress up and new gaskets I tried to install them but the seat drill out wasn't big enought to fit over the valve post! So I decided to scrap the plan and now I have all this stuff sitting on my garage on a shelf!

I would like to do this LS1 spring swap seeing I will be having to raplce my engine in my Monte carlo (96)!
                            OK to solve the problem of the LS1 spring seat... The newer GEN 3 heads possibly 2000+ have a bigger valve guide. the LS1 spring seat will NOT fit unless you grind it out with a die grinder stone bit and drill to 9/16 I beleive. Use '96+ Chrysler 318 Valve seals on these guides as a perfect fit. All GEN3 early design valve guides will accept LS1 spring seats ands gen2 valve seal with no alteration nesessary. If yuo want a stiffer springs for cheap, LS6 valve springs from Gmotors.com will run about $5 each and will have an open load of 310+lbs at .5 lift. They will be painted green. Early LS6 springs will have an open pressure of about 280 at .5 lift and are painted blue, these springs are not sold anymore, you can find them used on ebay.
                            Lorenzo
                            '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                            '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I have the current LS6 springs in my car. Even though my engine is late 1999 3100, my heads are the newer 3400's. GPSE3400 helped my do the work. He drilled out the LS1 spring seats for me (the stock LS1 seats will not fit at all). He also discovered the Dodge 318 valve seals (which I have in now, and so far, so good). I reused the stock 3100 retainers and keepers, and bought the LS6 springs new (green springs. I had blue ones in there).

My car revvs to 7000 RPM, and I hit it every day. I put a video on my site of the tach while I was driving. I took off from a stop, had the car in OVERDRIVE (did not hold the gears), held the camera with my right hand, and steered with the left. There is not any sound (which sucks), and it bounces around a lot, but you can see the tach (I was paying more attention to the road than the camera).

Click the link below, and at the top of the screen, there is a link that says highrpm.AVI. That is the vid.

Taylor
                              1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                              1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                              1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                              1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                              "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Does anybody have the part numbers for the LS6 Valve Springs, the valve seats, and the dodge 318 valve seals?

Comment

Working...
                                X