• Show
Clear All

• i have some dtc codes i need help with

p0004 fuel regulator control high
    p0420 catalyst system below threshold
    p0440 evap emissions control system error
    p1200 injector control circuit
    p2004 intake manifold runner control stuck open bank 1

any help on what these mean and how i could possibly fix them? these have me horribly stumped so any help is appreciated

these are all obd2 by them way off my 97 chevy lumina base with a 3100 sfi

My guess is that the 0440 is for the purge valve. It is behind the coils and down about 1/2 a foot. Look for a little green cap.
    I have no clue what a intake manifold runner control is.
    Sounds like the fuel regulator has been letting too much gas go to the injectors and killed the converter.
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

P0420 is for the post-cat o2, it could be the cat, or the o2 sensor, but I think the PCM has logic to tell if it's the o2, or the cat, so my bet is the cat.

IIRC P0440 could be caused by a worn, or loose gascap.

what are you using to pull these codes? some of those sound way wrong for your car.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

as a follow up, I just checked a 2001 grand am bin, and I don't see half of those codes in the bin at all, much less turned on. I know it's a few years off, but I'd be willing to bet they aren't in yours either.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

i used an elm usb to obd2 scanner and easy obd2 version 2.4.5 if you have any other free software i could use thats more accurate im open to suggestions also i used a chevy list for the obd2 codes although im not sure where it went to now

Comment

As noted some of those codes aren't even specific to your car... so it's a bit odd that they would be showing up. Will a local auto parts store use their tool to read them for you?

The Free ELM's are nice but they don't always work.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

the elm reader wasnt free and i gotta see about getting it up to an auto parts store first its feeling like theres a grinding (not sure where) and loss of power is what its really doing to give me trouble it just feels very unstable but i am gonna see about getting it up to the auto parts store and checking it this week sometime i have to recharge the battery!

by the way i appreciate all the expert help here guys!

Comment

Get the Torque app. I got more consistant codes with that one.

EDIT: Just saw you have USB and not BlueTooth. Your limited to the free Scantool.net file floating around.
                Last edited by TurboGTU; 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM.
                88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboGTU View Post
                  Get the Torque app. I got more consistant codes with that one.

EDIT: Just saw you have USB and not BlueTooth. Your limited to the free Scantool.net file floating around.
                  im actually not limited theres quite a few free obd2 reader programs out there

Comment

I meant the free software, not the unit itself.

Got Lope?
                    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

ah okay i guess ill try the scantool.net software see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                      X