3100 L82 Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 L82 Pistons

Are there flat top pistons that will fit a L82 3100 for a boost in compression? The shop where I'm taking auto tech classes has a disassembled L82 and it has dished pistons, so I assume that they all have dished pistons.

I could also safely assume that a change in pistons would require computer re-tuning?

Originally posted by ItsVince725 View Post
    Are there flat top pistons that will fit a L82 3100 for a boost in compression? The shop where I'm taking auto tech classes has a disassembled L82 and it has dished pistons, so I assume that they all have dished pistons.

I could also safely assume that a change in pistons would require computer re-tuning?
    Don't know on the pistons, but the change in compression will need a tune.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

CR calc says 9.55:1 with stockers.

with a piston dome/dish volume of 0(completely flat-top) and stock pin location, compression is calculated to be 15.65:1.....

yeah, i'd say it would need a retune. with that kind of compression ratio, i'm not sure if you could actually avoid pre-ignition due to just that much compression heating up the air/fuel mixture as it squeezes it without running some incredibly high octane fuel. i'm not sure how to calculate that kind of temperature rise though.

EDIT: if you have the pistons made so that the pins are significantly relocated to where you end up with .06" of deck clearance, you move to a more reasonable 11.81:1, but the quench is crap at that point.
      Last edited by robertisaar; 12-10-2012, 02:19 AM.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

If you put iron head pistons in an aluminum head engine you will end up at about 12 to one CR depending on the head gasket you use. Both have dishes in them, but the iron head pistons have about half the dish as the aluminum head pistons do. Larry

Comment

using otherwise stock 3100 specs with the iron-head 3.1 piston dome volume and piston deck clearance, comes up to 10.79:1 with a quench of .077.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            using otherwise stock 3100 specs with the iron-head 3.1 piston dome volume and piston deck clearance, comes up to 10.79:1 with a quench of .077.
            That sounds pretty good. I didn't know the stock compression was so high with such deeply dished pistons though.

Comment

The cylinder head has a very small CC.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I think the iron head pistons are about .100 deep and the aluminum head pistons are about .200 deep. It makes an easy path to more compression if you want to run a bigger cam using aluminum heads.

Comment

Working...
                X