Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Is it normal for an early Gen 3 3100 to sorta fall on its face under harder acceleration?

I've noticed that the engine seems to produce less power if I try and push it hard, and I want to make sure that's not a bad sign.

Did you change the fuel filter yet?
    Mine did seemed to fall on it's face in the top end do to the small port intakes. The 3400 intakes helped that.
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

I haven't...but I think it's just because of the small intake ports. I'm sure if I swap to 3400 intakes I'll get a better power band.

Comment

It's a good idea to change that filter if you have not done that yet.
        I did see a little loss in the low end power with those intakes. But I bet you already know about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
          It's a good idea to change that filter if you have not done that yet.
          I did see a little loss in the low end power with those intakes. But I bet you already know about that.
          Well the low end doesn't matter much to me, I'm not pulling trailers with a Buick Skylark or anything else that would require more low-end than high-end.

Comment

Yeah I came from V8's and had a 3.1, so low end power is something I love. But good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
              Yeah I came from V8's and had a 3.1, so low end power is something I love. But good point.
              Believe me, I wish I was driving a 2nd gen Trans Am around. But I gotta make do with what I've got.

Comment

Oh yeah I know how that is. I bought a Cavy with an Ecotec and I'm not happy, but when I buy a car I'm stuck with it.

Comment

it's all relative.

when does the engine seem to quit pulling? around 5000RPM?
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                    it's all relative.

when does the engine seem to quit pulling? around 5000RPM?
                    Yeah, around there. It just runs out of breath.

Comment

with a small-port 3100 and no significant changes to it, that's about right. should pick up around 3000 and pull to around 5000. by 6000 it's really out of it.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                        with a small-port 3100 and no significant changes to it, that's about right. should pick up around 3000 and pull to around 5000. by 6000 it's really out of it.
                        Okay, good. That's what I wanted to know.

It's always important to know what's a problem and what's just a design flaw.

Comment

Working...
                        X