No announcement yet.

DoD thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think any "modern" engine would require DI and if possible AFM to get the best total power and efficiency package possible. In some ways it amazes me they continue to develop the LS series V8. Today the pushrod engines are almost dead except for industrial/marine applications and of course GM. Not sure to many other automakers are using them anymore... DOHC seems to be here for now...

Comment

Well the only disadvantages to DOHC are a bit more weight, a bit larger of an engine and a bit more cost. I was also disappointed that it looks like the Gen V SBC appears to be little more than a Gen IV with DI.

Someone local stuffed a VK56DE into a 240sx... so it can't be that hard to fit a DOHC V8 into a vette.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        I was also disappointed that it looks like the Gen V SBC appears to be little more than a Gen IV with DI.

Someone local stuffed a VK56DE into a 240sx... so it can't be that hard to fit a DOHC V8 into a vette.
        you say that like it's a bad thing.... the LSx are beloved for their simplicity/power/reliability/efficiency. now GM is adding a few parts to let it keep up with the rest of the field with what is essentially a design from the 50s. the actual carryover of parts from the Gen4 to Gen5 is countable on one hand, but it has it's roots clearly defined.

also, DOHC Vette happened already, it's too bad it was so damn expensive.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I always wondered why the LT5 seems to have a good reputation but the DOHC V8s produced since then by GM don't have an aftermarket or a good reputation.

Another thing to consider is that IIRC the V8s are now the only engines that aren't DOHC in the lineup. I would expect that the next step would be a DOHC V8.

That being said, I'm not saying the LSx series aren't great, because they clearly have incredible potential. I just would have expected a move to DOHC by now
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

The addition of DI to the vette engine continues to keep it competitive performance, weight and econmy wise. Its clear to me why GM sticks with it.

They could befit from variable cam overlap ( I believe viper has this)...

Id like to see them go to a 4.6L flat plane crank engine with AFM, DI and turbo

Comment

Working...
            X