Newbie wanting to do 3400 (LA1) engine mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie wanting to do 3400 (LA1) engine mods

Hi All first time to this site, owner of a 3400 sfi LA1 2004 impala with some exterior mods and light performance mods.

looking to achieve 200hp at wheels
    anyone have suggestions as to easy mods i can do at home? i already have a wot tech competition UIM, i have 62mm tce throttle body, intake, exhaust, overkilled pcm, 180° t-stat, ZZP Downpipe, dog bone poly motor mounts, egr delete and that about it

any more supporting mods to up the hp easily and cheaply as possible

i was thinking maybe bigger injectors, new spark plugs, new wires, maybe a WOT TECH LIM, but other that I'm clueless as to do anything with heads cams ... but like i said I'm a dummy when it comes to all that stuff
    2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

Performance Mods: Custom k&n FWI, Dynomax Dual Mufflers, 180° t-stat, ZZP Downpipe, High Flow Fuel Filter, TCE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, ZZP Poly Dogbone Mounts, Overkill PCM, TCE 65mm TB, WOT-Tech Ported UIM

SHPD, WTVFD

Injectors, plugs and wires won't really net you anything.
    Just keep up on the maintenance of those items, but there is no need to "upgrade them".
    Don't make enough power for bigger injectors to be required at this point.

Headers REALLY help wake these cars up.
    Can also do a 3500 top swap (look it up, it's all over the place here).

Comment

how much hp over stock for header back exhaust?
      2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

Performance Mods: Custom k&n FWI, Dynomax Dual Mufflers, 180° t-stat, ZZP Downpipe, High Flow Fuel Filter, TCE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, ZZP Poly Dogbone Mounts, Overkill PCM, TCE 65mm TB, WOT-Tech Ported UIM

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

I'm not entirely sure for W-body cars.

However, for N-body cars the best results I have seen are
        + 10 peak whp for catback
        + 27 peak whp for headers

Now this doesn't mean you'll get these numbers (may be worse, may be better).
        However this is the highest I've seen on the grand am forums as far as dyno results on relatively stock cars go.

Note the more intake work you've done the better your results.

After such modifications a tune will benefit you a great deal!

Comment

well then the fender wall intake, 62mm tce, ported UIM and EGR delete should help me get to that 27+ mark
          2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

I have an 1989 beretta 3400 5/speed. I just did the 3500 top end street/strip wot heads
            and custom camshaft.I couldn't be happier it's not even finished with the tune.And it feels like a different car.If you plan on keeping the car just save and do it right

Comment

Originally posted by brigoyanks View Post
              well then the fender wall intake, 62mm tce, ported UIM and EGR delete should help me get to that 27+ mark
              + a U bend delete and replace the muffler, and maise well do a ported lower intake and proper gaskets.
              The Ebay CAI's are garbage, build your own or modify kit that can put the filter in the front of the fender, behind the fog lamp.
              I should also mention getting polly dog bone bushings as alot of engery is lost through those.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                + a U bend delete and replace the muffler, and maise well do a ported lower intake and proper gaskets.
                The Ebay CAI's are garbage, build your own or modify kit that can put the filter in the front of the fender, behind the fog lamp.
                I should also mention getting polly dog bone bushings as alot of engery is lost through those.
                i have a downpipe so upend delete isn't there.. i have dymonax dual exhaust catback, i have a custom intake (its fender wall tho but I'm scared to have it be behind the fog for rain and snow.. i thought about making one behind my grill) , and i have zzp poly motor mounts not the bushings, i need the bushings
                2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

Originally posted by robert 1980 View Post
                  I have an 1989 beretta 3400 5/speed. I just did the 3500 top end street/strip wot heads
                  and custom camshaft.I couldn't be happier it's not even finished with the tune.And it feels like a different car.If you plan on keeping the car just save and do it right
                  i might wanna do a 3500 top swap, i don't know a lot of info about it tho, plus i have a tight budget (as does every other 20 year old) and i don't really want to do a camshaft, i don't know enough about it
                  2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

I didn't realize your from jersey too where about? To be truthful i dont see headers making 30 hp.
                    I've heard on a 3.8 15 to 20 but i never did dyno my car.I didn't know a lot either be you learn quick.
                    If you not to far you should check out my car sometime

Comment

Originally posted by robert 1980 View Post
                      I didn't realize your from jersey too where about? To be truthful i dont see headers making 30 hp.
                      I've heard on a 3.8 15 to 20 but i never did dyno my car.I didn't know a lot either be you learn quick.
                      If you not to far you should check out my car sometime
                      30 yes including the 3500 swap and intake work

and i live in somerset county
                      2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

I think with intake work, 3500 swap and headers you'll be well above 30 hp

Comment

like closer to 40 or 50hp gain? , i have a overkill pcm too, and egr delete

so stock is 180

then add 3500 swap and I'm around 200

intake manifolds, tce TB, Cutsom CAI 215ish
                          headerback exhaust, pcm, tstat, egr delete, poly mounts, 230ish

idk this is just guestimates
                          Last edited by brigoyanks; 12-25-2011, 02:32 AM.
                          2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

Yeah thats not far from me.Well either way you won't get much from it without a good tune.But yeah if you ever wanted to check the car out let me know.

Comment

A set of tubular headers is the next best bang for the buck. There is no debate in this situation. None.

Stock 3400s have dynoed a 20hp gain just by adding headers. The stock manifolds are designed for packing the engine into the engine bay, not for performance; anything but, really.

If you don't get deep into engines yet, don't worry about the top end swap. Put on the headers and enjoy.

And as far as just adding horsepower numbers together - it doesn't work like that. I used to think it did, when I was your age...

14.60 @ 96.33 for now...

Comment

Working...
                              X