Tired 2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired 2.8

I am new here and have never built this series of engine before, so I welcome any help that can be offered. I have a 86 S-10 Blazer 4X4, 2.8,manual trans. After looking I see that no factory RWD engines were made with a roller valve train. Can a 3.4 Vortech be retrofitted with a roller valve train? Also can DOHC heads be used on any of the RWD engine blocks.
    Thanks,
    icemanspecops

I can answer the question about DOHC heads on a pushrod block, but not the others. I wasn't aware that there was a 3.4 Vortech, but since it would be related to the normal 3.4 pushrod, this article pretty much covers the problems with putting DOHC heads on any of the 60v6 pushrod engines.

BTW, welcome to the site!
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Wow! Ok, no good for the. DOHC on the 2.8. I will go back to the junk yard to take a closer look at the Vortec. It was an assumption on my part as to it being a 3.4. I did see the Vortec logo on the engine. What size is the Vortec supposed to be? Thanks for the information.

Comment

Vortecs that I know of are normally 4.3 v6, 350 (5.7) v8, and probably on up, like the 454. Basically truck engines.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

If you want to retain the 60 degree engine,which would be the economical route,go with the 3.4 out of a camaro / firebird [160 hp / 200 ft lb] it's a bolt-in using parts from your 2.8 engine,then you can do the 4.3 tbi swap etc. to bump up the hp. If you want to go farther you install the 3400 alum heads and intake.I have the 3.4 crate in my 87 and it's a big step up from a tired 2.8,you'll notice the difference in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Driver View Post
            If you want to retain the 60 degree engine,which would be the economical route,go with the 3.4 out of a camaro / firebird [160 hp / 200 ft lb] it's a bolt-in using parts from your 2.8 engine,then you can do the 4.3 tbi swap etc. to bump up the hp. If you want to go farther you install the 3400 alum heads and intake.I have the 3.4 crate in my 87 and it's a big step up from a tired 2.8,you'll notice the difference in power.
            ^^ This ^^
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
            X