W-BODY 2nd Gen 3100 to 3500 swap????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W-BODY 2nd Gen 3100 to 3500 swap????

I might be able to pick up a $400-$500 beater GP SE but its got a tired moter for a project car / 2nd car for the GF to run to work in and was wondering how hard it would be 2 do the swap. So far off another thread iv got this for information and im not shure how accurate it is, so please bear with me. Also if i dont get the car I have a good friend with the same exact car but white who wants me to research this for him.

heres what i think i need for the swap so far.

3400 sfi 2000+ upper intake
    Reuse the stock fuel rail, injectors, FBR??? not shure what that is, knock sensor, alternator, power steering system, 3100 timing cover and water pump, 3100 flyweel, custom DP so i can use the 3500 exhaust manifolds.

Like i said i have know idea how accurate this is because the other thread was for a 1st gen w-body not a second gen so i could be totally lost lol

FBR should be FPR (fuel pressure regulator). You will also need the external crank trigger (http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/externa...r/prod_42.html). Mounts will be the other issue. Check in the 3x00swap section of the forum, as there are a couple threads in there for 3500 swaps as well.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I cant find a thing on coverting the engine mounts are the 1st gen w-bodies and 2nd gen the same or close as far as engine mounts???

Comment

Yes, first and second gen w-body's used the same motor mounts. You can bolt the lower engine mount that's currently on the 3100 right on to the 3500 oil pan. You will not be able to use the passenger side upper dogbone mount, but using just the one on the drivers side will work just fine.
        Depending on what year your Grand Prix is will determine whether or not you should reuse the FPR. 3500's have a 55psi FPR and 1997-1999 Grand Prix 3100's have a 43.5psi FPR. So make sure you get a 2000+ Fuel rail.
        You can use the current 3100 exhaust manifolds on the 3500, that will save you from having to custom fabricate anything. I'm not sure why you need to switch the water pump or timing cover. I didn't have to. You do not need to change the flywheel. You do need an external crank trigger. There are not really a whole lot of differences between the 1st and 2nd gen W Grand Prix in the engine bay. A lot of the information you get from a 1st gen swap will apply to a second gen.
        Last edited by Jonpro03; 01-07-2011, 01:23 AM.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

Cool thanks for the info, so the flyweel is good and the FPR should be a 2000+, I just figured the flyweel was different didnt really look into it. I thought u had to change the timming cover and crank pulley to use the 24x sensor?????

Comment

Originally posted by buickboy View Post
            Cool thanks for the info, so the flyweel is good and the FPR should be a 2000+, I just figured the flyweel was different didnt really look into it. I thought u had to change the timming cover and crank pulley to use the 24x sensor?????
            Ahh, you're right. I didn't have to do that because I use a megasquirt.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

Cool lol. So this is it as of now.

3400 sfi 2000+ upper intake
              3100 sfi 2000+ fuel rail
              3100 sfi 2000+ injectors
              3100 sfi 2000+ FPR
              3100 sfi timing cover
              3100 sfi crank pulley
              external crank trigger
              3100 engine mounts bolt to 3500 oil pan
              use 3100 driver side dogbone mount

anything else????