Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 camaro, new here

Hi there,
    I'm new here and thought I would share, as well as ask a few questions.

I've got a 95 Camaro (auto trans) with a 3.4 as my daily driver. I rebuilt the engine when I got it. right now it has Headers, intake, ignition, and a catback. It's a pretty stout dd...

...However it does seem to have an issue. It has a really hard time reving to 4500rpm, it'll make it, but it really slows down doing it. The highest i've EVER been able to rev it to is 5200, and at WOT, it wont shift out of first. It will rev to 4grand, then slowly make its way up to 5200, then it just stays there, as if it's limited.

Recently, I put it on the dyno, and the results were, interesting:

At WOT it runs 10:1 A/f ratio and floods the engine. It looses ALL power. Heres a vid:

Those two spots were it pauses are 4500rpm, and 5200.

Also: I've been working on this to try and solve the typical 3.4 bottle neck. But I'm not quite done.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jonsgreasemonkey; 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM.
    1995 3.4 Camaro: headers, cold air intake, catback, ignition upgrades, suspension mods...

What engine management parts have you serviced? Can you get a datalog for us? Welcome
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I've replaced both o2 sensors, the tps, the egr, the iac, the map, and I've even swapped computers with another 3.4 to no avail.

I can't give an exact data log, I forgot to have him print it, but the a/f ration steadily drops, and reaches 10 at 4000rpm. Thats pretty much all I know.
      1995 3.4 Camaro: headers, cold air intake, catback, ignition upgrades, suspension mods...

Comment

Replaced the coolant temp sensor that feeds the PCM?
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I've replaced the one thats under the intake manifold.

Comment

Have you done a back pressure test of the exhaust? Specifically the catalytic convertor/s?

Oh.....before I ferget ..... wilkommen!

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Thanks!

Good point, it's the stock cat and s-pipe, with a z28 muffler.
              I can see through the cat, and none of the pipe looks damaged. How would I go about "testing" it?

Comment

Tap on it to see if anything sounds like it is rattling around inside.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

unbolt the cat and see if theres an improvment. sure sounds funny, but alot like the cat.
                  mine took a shit at 90,000km, and how another way to check is to take if for a spin, and measure the tempature of the exhaust before, at, and after the cat, if the cat is considerbly hotter thats a pretty stout confermation and easy eanough to do with a infrared heat gun

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I went a ahead and gutted the cat. Massive Improvement! Thanks guys!.
                    I'm still going to try and fab up a new intake, i'm gonna try and use a lt1 throttle body, that should give me better throttle response, ect.

Comment

i would imagine using a vortec throttle body might be an easier approch and cost less, there basically identical to an lsx and would be alot easier to make a mounting plate. i think they are 70mm so could possibly be too big, but, you never know...

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Nice job on the intake, but you know that's not the real bottleneck, right?
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

hey man welcome. I've also got a 3.4 (93 firebird)

What are the odds of me getting one of those intakes?

93 Firebird 3.4
                          Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR,Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Custom Cam, Holley FPR, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's & Disk Brakes.
                          Cam and Heads by 60Inclusive.com

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Nice job on the intake, but you know that's not the real bottleneck, right?
                            Yeah, the heads on there suck too. I was just making this on as an experiment.

If I can get a tig welder and a good system of making it, I'd be happy to happy to sell a few. That one is just my mock up, I haven't even finished it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                              i would imagine using a vortec throttle body might be an easier approch and cost less, there basically identical to an lsx and would be alot easier to make a mounting plate. i think they are 70mm so could possibly be too big, but, you never know...
                              Thats not a bad idea. I'll look into it. I was just planning one buying an lt1 intake and trottle body from a junkyard and cutting off the flange and welding that on.

Comment

Working...
                              X