No announcement yet.

2.8l cherokee motor performance questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well its been way too cold out to mess with stuff in the garage, and my heater still smokes like a diesel with the pump up too high.

I dont like the straight 6, too much "crap" in the engine bay with it, and i like carbs instead of FI. Im currently trying to find out what (if any) blazer/s10/jimmy transmissions will bolt up to the 2.8l and have a decent transfer case on em. that and that i want it to be as close to the same lengths as possible so i dont need new drive shafts. everything ive read on these forums say that the 2.8 has potential, just needs certain things done.

Comment

You looking for an auto all first gens had the 700r4. They were all cable driven speedos until 89 or 90 (maybe 91 I always forget). The 2.5 i4 and 2.8 v6s both had the same bellhousing pattern, and yes there are 2.5 4x4 s-10s out there before somebody says something. They are rare but out there.

As for t-cases we got the same exact ones the xjs got, early was np207, then they went with np231, later was the push button np233. All drivers drop just like the xjs. Only problem is the chevy t-cases used 5 bolts to mount to the trans and the xj used 6.

Another option might be the isuzu troopers but Betterthanyou will have to step in as I know nothing but they had 60 degrees in them.

I agree with ya on rather having a 60degree over the i6 4.0 famous for cracking heads and breaking exhaust manifolds. I'd much rather have a FI over a carb on anything 4x4 and/or street driven.
      Last edited by neo71665; 01-23-2011, 06:08 AM.
      87 3.4 4x4 blazer
      3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

See, im a carb guy, but thats because i grew up around em, go karts, stock cars... and i love being different, everyone on the jeep forums responded to my thread with "change the motor, swap to a i6"... sorry, ill keep my v6 that lopes at idle and sounds decent rather than a large ricer sound like ya get from the inlines...

what im going to want to do is swap both of em as a unit, tranny and tcase. my buddy and i are always finding cheap cars/trucks/suvs (normally free) that we either a) try to fix, or b) gut and scrap. i think there is an 80 somehting jimmy sittin out there right now with a bad motor...

now if i remember correctly, the 700r4 is a 4 speed correct? i currently have a cable driven speedo so thats no biggie, and if the tcase is the same the only thing i could see not "lining" up would be the trans shift components in the console?

after driving through the 4ft of snow that drifted up on one of our roads tonight and basically choosing between going sideways or getting stuck, i decided that the 3 speed torqueflite needs to go

Comment

I was a carb guy for a long time because of the same reasons. A little time, a few kicks in the butt, and a lot of learning I've grown to like the fuel efficiency and characteristics of FI better. Doesn't starve out on steep hills and the better gas mileage is my 2 favorites. As for the 4.0 I've never been a fan, they rank right there with toyotas and the i4 timing chains eating holes in the heads and their v6 warping heads.

Early 80s jimmy should have the 700r4. Personally I would have it rebuilt and get them to install the extra clutches in it like a 700r4 from behind a v8 had. This might help a bit when getting it set up http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

Yes the 700r4 is a 4 speed, 3 speed overdrive.I was thinking yours had the cable driven speedo but I'm a bit rusty on xjs. I honestly have no clue about what will line up or not. I've never done the swap.

I think most the jeep guys even get rid of the 3 speed in favor of an auto. This again comes down to personal opinions but on the street 2wd I love my stick shifts. In my drag cars/trucks and 4x4s I'd much rather have a slushbox.
          87 3.4 4x4 blazer
          3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Ya, ill just have to look myself and see what it looks like. i doubt it could be that much different, and plus ive gotta measure the overall length to see if ill need new driveshafts or not...

Comment

Working...
            X