Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header flange

Quick question,

I have a set of ss headers that i plan on dropping in my '04 grand am in a few weeks, but over the weekend i put a straight edge against the flange and noticed that the center cylinder area is about 2mm low.

Will this be a problem with the mls gaskets that came with the headers?

If so, what is the best course of action? Should a just use a different type of gasket or do i need to get the surface reground?

Thanks

A competent and well equipped machine shop should be able to straighten them. I would consider grinding as a last resort.

And yes, that is one hell of a low spot. All MLS applications require straight to .001" over twelve inches. Even and proper torque for the fastener being used. If you do it right, the header flange will take a straight "set" after a few runs and be a lot less likely to leak. Mind your misfires, a misfiring cylinder will cause a "cold" zone on the flange which will eventually upset the straightness of the flange and yep, cause a leak. Header sealing is one area where an ounce of prevention is worth way more than a pound of cure.
    Last edited by 86FieroSEv6; 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Just curious, when you say any well equipped machine shop should be able to straighten them, how exactly do they straighten them?

Also, i saw Remflex gaskets mentioned in another thread. Are these decent or junk. They claim to be good up to 1/16".

The reason I ask, and am exploring all my options, is my headers are in SE Michigan and I am in Florida. I will be up there for the 4th of July, but it can be a PITA getting stuff done around the holiday...

Comment

Well they have them for the iron head motors. But yea if your 2mm (1/16") out then they need to be corrected. A machine shop can fix it and it would be worth it.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

They use the same rig to straighten heads. For my personal motors cylinder heads, especially when I'm stepping on the cam, I always have them straightened rather than cut. This makes for more accurate tuning results and less problems with piston:valve clearance. For exhaust manifolds/headers they would start to clamp the flange down on the straightening table and then slowly heat it and clamp it more until it is mated to the table. Once cooled they slowly release the clamps and check for bounce back. Occasionally it takes two or three cycles to get it to "lay" flat. For expensive headers this is the only way to go.
          Last edited by 86FieroSEv6; 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by zerocool View Post
            Just curious, when you say any well equipped machine shop should be able to straighten them, how exactly do they straighten them?

Also, i saw Remflex gaskets mentioned in another thread. Are these decent or junk? They claim to be good up to 1/16".

The reason I ask, and am exploring all my options, is my headers are in SE Michigan and I am in Florida. I will be up there for the 4th of July, but it can be a PITA getting stuff done around the holiday...
            You are correct Sir!... They are more than decent...

Here is a link to some images on my photobucket that will show you the REMFLEX Header Gaskets WILL solve your leaking header problems... without the need to "Bend it Like Beckham..."

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
            Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I put them on my belt sander after welding them to flatten them back out, never had a problem.

Palm Beach Gardens? I am in Ft.Lauderdale, too bad the headers are so far away, I would fix then for ya...
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

I havent seen those headers, anyway if they do not have a bar connecting each flange or were made from section of steel and do sit sit flat against the head/s the bolts should pull them into place.

Comment

Working...
                X