3.4 building opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 building opinions

I've been doing a lot of reading on the site and have comprised a list of things I'll be doing during my 3.4 build. I'm going to list it all and see if you guys, the pros , agree with what I'm doing or can suggest something else.

-3.4 block w/ stock crank, rods, etc. block to be hottanked, honed, blueprinted/balanced, all bearing replaced..complete rebuild of the block basically leaving it stock.
    -11.5:1 forged pistons (maybe bore 20 over)
    -Strip cam shaft
    -Wot-tech sportsman ported 3400 heads
    -Wot-tech competition ported UIM and LIM
    -TCE 65mm TB
    -S&S headers (if they can be found) or pacesetter or TOG (if they can be found)
    -28# fuel injectors w/ TCE adjustable FPR
    -3500 valves (already have comp springs) and the lighter retainers/keepers
    -TCE double roller timing chain

That's pretty much all the performance stuff to be done. I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Also it will be built with all ARP hardware for stability and will be using cometic head gaskets.

My main question is..do u think the 11.5:1 CPR is overkill for street/strip. my understanding is it will have a lopey but not horrible idle and will be streetable. as long as i have the double roller timing chain and all ARP stuff it should be fine, right? Obviously this is a NA build so I'm trying to squeeze every once of power out of it.

Also, read into stroking the engine. I see some controversy on the 3.7L. just wondering if it's possible or not. And please don't tell me not to waste my time with a 3.4 and to get a 3.5. I am very much interested in building one of the post powerful NA 3400 engines. it's what i have, its what i know, its what i want.

any input would be great. thanks!
    2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

The thing to remember, with the setup you are describing is - TUNING IS THE KEY. If you can't tune for it, then its not going to run good. Once you start creeping up near 12:1 CR, tuning needs to be balls on or you are going to ruin the engine.

As far as the stroker goes, the gain in power you may see isn't worth the money it'll take to get it there. You may see ~10hp on the top end, but you are gonna spend $1K (or more) on the parts needed to properly build the stroker.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

yeah i thought it would be more but it seems like it's not even worth the time/money. it would be cool though to say i have a stroked 3400 engine..but screw it.

and as for tuning..there is a dyno that i go to thats like 15 minutes away. and trust me i know tuning is key. once im done ill be even scared just to drive it over there to get tuned. especially with the 28# injectors in. you think ill be fine? because if order for them to do it they need to do a dyno pull. which means a WOT 3rd gear pull. it just scares me..since everything will be new it just seems to me i should be doing some kind of break in procedure before it gets dynoed..but yet i need it tuned..but i need it dynoed to get tuned..so idk. im probably overthinking it

Comment

bump for more input

Comment

Well, just to check for mechanical assembly, try just using a shot of gas or something to momentarily fire the engine. This will check the basics such as mechanical timing and ignition function. If she fires okay, then just go for an idle start. Basically, I am saying to take it in stages while keeping an eye and a nose on your exhaust. If it can't get going it's probably lean, if it poots out carbon then it's def' too rich. I think you are showing proper caution, carry on and let us know how it turns out.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

thanks for the advice. i'll definitely keep an eye on it. if worst comes to worst and i feel unsafe driving it without a tune..ill use some of my AAA towing points.

but as for the things listed for my build. does everything seem good? trying to squeeze all the power out of a 3400 as i can. just wondering if 11.5:1 with a strip cam would be overkill for being streetable. the strip cam says its streetable so idk..what do you all think.

and i just thought that with the bigger injectors and need for more fuel, the weak OEM pump is gonna fail hard. do they have a walbro pump that will fit in my tank?

Comment

in addition to the post above..when im doing a rebuild would it be wise to use a new crankshaft? i know they receive and lot of stress and flex and whatnot. i plan on having it balanced and inspected before i put it in..but is that enough or should it be new/low miles?

Comment

3400 OEM cranks are pretty stout. Don't worry about it.
                Matt
                2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
                3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Working...
                X