forged pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forged pistons

Ok i have had it, ive been searching like crazy and i cant find what im looking for. Im going to build a bottle fed 1992 firebird with a 3.1, i know what rods to use, and cam. im porting matching the head and intake. i know someone makes forged pistons. ive looked at all the websites ive found and cant find any part numbers at the piston sites. if someone would please inform me on who makes what pistons for my 92 3.1 and what part number they are.

I should be able to get them made by Diamond but they take a while to make.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ok, what does a set like that run?

Comment

600-900 I think, with wrist pins and rings...

At least thats what I remember from a while ago.

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

$575 for the pistons, 90 or 165 for rings, depending on style.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

the NAPIER ring, that is a new term to me. is like a crom-moly ring? btw i work at advance auto parts so if there is something that i can get from work i need to know, discounts rock. lol

Comment

Originally posted by stormdrop View Post
              the NAPIER ring, that is a new term to me. is like a crom-moly ring? btw i work at advance auto parts so if there is something that i can get from work i need to know, discounts rock. lol
              You cant buy any performance parts for our engines through Advance Auto Parts... Everything is either one off, or custom order from specific performance shops.

Ben is probably the best and cheapest you will find for this product.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

well yea i know that, we dont got anything of any use at advance. but my question still in the open, what is NAPIER rings

Comment

Excerpted from Hot Rod magazine online article: The Second Ring
                  For more than 40 years, the reverse-bevel, taper-face, plain-cast-iron second ring has been the standard. Heat is not really a problem in the second groove, so there has been no need for superexotic materials or coatings (moly rings are a waste here). Today, most second rings continue to be made from cast iron or (for some high-end applications) ductile iron. However, second ring configuration is evolving: Modern theory holds that the second ring is about 85 to 90 percent oil control and only 5 to 10 percent compression control, so to better manage the oil, there's a definite trend toward the Napier (hooked or claw-shaped) second ring. In fact, most GM LS engines come stock with Napier rings. The Napier ring creates a reservoir for the scraped oil to flow through. "If you undercut the bottom of the ring, it exposes more of the endgap back into the ring groove, which opens up the flow area, providing a reservoir for the scraped oil," says Speed-Pro's Scott Gabrielson. A side benefit is that the Napier allows opening up the second ring gap volume even more, improving inter-ring pressure relief. If available for your application, the Napier can only help, never hurt, overall performance.

And, in further developments I found this little blurb.

"we dont got anything of any use at advance" . . . don't sell yourself short, you have excellent mango air fresheners.
                  Last edited by 86FieroSEv6; 04-16-2010, 12:48 AM.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

mango is good yes, but i prefer cool breeze. lol Thanks for the ring info.
                    Last edited by stormdrop; 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X