Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've heard it before, "don't build a 2.8".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh, maybe I missed something here, like why should you build a POS 2.8 when there is so much better out there? I guess I am remiss at offering something way better than is currently in this vehicle. Excuse me for suggesting something that is an improvement. Isn't what this site is all about?

Originally posted by DefEddie View Post
    You didn't read the title or ??
    He's looking to improve what he has,and had some pretty specific questions.
    None of them included "give me reasons not to do this or why you think I shouldn't".

Comment

DON'T use your stock pump again. All the aluminum pumps are junk. Use a cast iron pump from a 3.4L with a 3/4" pickup.

Port matching goes a long way in improving performance of the iron heads and intake. You will see for yourself when you go to match the ports to the intake how far off they are and how much work needs to be done to really help them out.

If your thinking of a cam just buy a Comp Cams K kit. Its got all the parts you need for the whole job there is no point in looking any further. The cams are the best and so are the lifters and they include all the parts you need like springs, retainers and locks plus more. If you want rockers the magnum roller tips cannot be beat at under $150 for a set.

My site has a whole list of part numbers for the work I did in my Trooper which is identical to what you are doing in your S-10.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

hedmans are worth it.

port and polish the heads and intake. worth it.

4.3 with matching TBI intake boring and 2.8 injectors: worth it. port the TBI as well.

iron pump from the 3.4

add a crank scraper or windage tray

electric fan

good flowing air cleaner and exhaust

underdrive pullies

Comment

oh, and youll need to burn a new program for the ECM to make it all work right.

Comment

So, what are your plans?. Made any decisions, or still thinking about it?. Late.
            I need a bigger engine!

Comment

I am now honestly contemplating doing a 3.4 build, didn't realize they were pretty much the same except for the injection system.

Comment

iron pump from a 3.4? What does this mean in a situation like mine where a 2.8 is being swapped out for a 3.4? I was under the impression all accessories and pumps transfer over...but does this mean now i should keep water pump on the 3.4? (assuming an electric fan conversion is doen as well right?)

sorry to if this is taking this off topic

Comment

Helgaiden, yes everything transfers over, no need to worry. All of the accessories that were on your 2.8 (ignition, water pump, exhaust) all fit the 3.4 no probs.

Bouncer88, yeah, they are basically the same (60 degree layout) however, the 2.8 is throttle body injection, whereas the 3.4 is multipoint fuel injection. Late.
                  I need a bigger engine!

Comment

i guess what i meant was is keeping one pump on there better than transferring over one of the pump's from the 2.8? Like...if there are any accesories on the 3.4 that i should keep on there because of superior design instead of swapping over an inferior designed part from the 2.8? Or does it really even matter?

Comment

I was only talking about the OIL Pump. The aluminum bodies oil pump found on 2.8L's is junk. Always use the later model iron pump which first showed up in 1990 on the 3.1L's

The water pump from any engine is good. If you are doing a swap in an S-10 you need to keep the S-10 pump in order to support the cooling fan.
                      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X