Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've heard it before, "don't build a 2.8".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard it before, "don't build a 2.8".

I have a 2.8 waiting for a rebuild, well I am going to build it to be peppier.

I can use the 3.1 crank, rods, and pistons correct as long as it is an 86 or newer block?

The block I have is from an 88.

I want to throw in a cam, the cam listed in the lmc truck mag that says will only fit 82-85 should work for this motor correct? (they have it listed with an intake manifold for a carb , I believe that is why it says only till 85.)

The hedman headers, do they show a noticable gain?

How far will a port and polish on the heads take me?

And I do plan on using a 4.3 Throttle body with the intake mani port matched.

Also, the fiero valve covers, they really are a lot better than the crappy 2.8 stock covers?

It all looks good to me, except that the polish on the ports is pretty much a waste of money. Port matching would be more beneficial. May we know what sort of buggy this horse is gittin' hitched up to?

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

This is my little guy, and the engine will be going in this.

1986 , 62k original miles, garaged up until 2006, only problem with rust is on the driver side door.

So there should be no issue with any of the 3.1 stuff correct? Anything I could upgrade as far as water pump and/or oil pump that would be beneficial as well?

Oh and you don't have a set of fiero valve covers for sale do ya?
      Last edited by Bouncer88; 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Looks like a nice little truck begging for a 4.3.

Just my .02

Comment

You keep yer mitts off'n my valve covers! LOL

I believe Melling has a high volume oil pump. Make the move to electric fan.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

I got some fiero covers i'll sell you for $20+shipping.
            On the water pump just make sure it doesn't have a plastic impeller.
            Just check and clearance your old oil pump and you'll be fine there,don't mess with a high volume pump if your not going to turbo-it'll just waste horsepower being driven.
            Install an electric fan,you have little hp to begin with so try to eliminate any parasitic loss you can.
            I just picked up a comp cam kit for under $300 with timing set,springs,lifters,retainers etc..,cam is .440 lift 110lsa forget the duration.
            I've got a used 3.1 turbo grand prix cam you can have for $10+shipping if you want it,nothing special about it I don't think though.

Comment

Nice 2WD, do you actually pull that with your s10?

Yes you can add the 3.1 parts, as long as your original 2.8 is 86 or later.

The edelbrock cam is designed for 82-85 carbed vehicles, my dad had the manifold & T.E.S. headers and they made the 84 2WD peppy, definitely better than stock. It didn't have the cam cause I live in L.A.

Edelbrock T.E.S. showed a nice gain scooted along a bit faster.

Port & polish is best for high RPM engines, you should port match and deburr the sharp edges (to prevent stress cracks). It will increase airflow. Don't expect too much, primarily better scavenging and a bit of performance.

I was gonna do the 4.3 TBI, but then I heard that just adding the 4.3 injectors on my 2.8 TBI works just fine, still I haven't done it.

Yup, the fiero valve covers are a nice find, I'm wanting to put them on my 86 4x4 S10 Blazer.

I've heard that too; way too many times, I'm like F you buddy. But then again, I may swap in the GMPP HT 3.4 crate engine and call it done. Late.
              I need a bigger engine!

Comment

I have 4 S10 trucks, one of them - a '91 - came with a weezed out 2.8. I bought a '95 Camaro 3.4 from a Upull yard for $160, of course it bolted right in (MAKE SURE YOU USE THE S10 OIL PAN). A pretty dramatic improvement. With a 5 speed and a 3.42 rear end, it ran a 16.3 with crappy traction. This is with everyting stock other than a large exhaust and open element air cleaner. (Jegs 3 inch custom - fits like a factory exhaust and is
                $165) On the highway with A/C on at 70 MPH it gets 24 MPG.
                My question is: why mess with a 2.8 when you can get a 3.4 for cheap money that will out perform a 2.8 hands down. Did I mention cheap? If you are worried about originality and are going to the effort of changing things, keep the 2.8 in the back of your garage.
                And you know that the 3.4 looks identical to the 2.8. If you really want some poop, get an Edelbrock 4 Bbl intake and a Holley 390 CFM, a set of headers and the exhaust. Only problem is that you will have to use a non computer controlled distributor out of an earlier truck (82 - 85). Your gas mileage won't suffer too badly either, unless you have your foot in the carb regularly.
                For what it's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                  I have 4 S10 trucks, one of them - a '91 - came with a weezed out 2.8. I bought a '95 Camaro 3.4 from a Upull yard for $160, of course it bolted right in (MAKE SURE YOU USE THE S10 OIL PAN). A pretty dramatic improvement. With a 5 speed and a 3.42 rear end, it ran a 16.3 with crappy traction. This is with everyting stock other than a large exhaust and open element air cleaner. (Jegs 3 inch custom - fits like a factory exhaust and is
                  $165) On the highway with A/C on at 70 MPH it gets 24 MPG.
                  My question is: why mess with a 2.8 when you can get a 3.4 for cheap money that will out perform a 2.8 hands down. Did I mention cheap? If you are worried about originality and are going to the effort of changing things, keep the 2.8 in the back of your garage.
                  And you know that the 3.4 looks identical to the 2.8. If you really want some poop, get an Edelbrock 4 Bbl intake and a Holley 390 CFM, a set of headers and the exhaust. Only problem is that you will have to use a non computer controlled distributor out of an earlier truck (82 - 85). Your gas mileage won't suffer too badly either, unless you have your foot in the carb regularly.
                  For what it's worth...
                  You didn't read the title or ??
                  He's looking to improve what he has,and had some pretty specific questions.
                  None of them included "give me reasons not to do this or why you think I shouldn't".

Comment

Originally posted by blowns10 View Post
                    I was gonna do the 4.3 TBI, but then I heard that just adding the 4.3 injectors on my 2.8 TBI works just fine, still I haven't done it.
                    A good thing, too. The 2.8 injectors are perfectly adequate for the 2.8, even in somewhat improved form. Absolutely no point using anything bigger, especially as it may give you idle problems (I don't know what size the 4.3 uses, but anyway, it won't do anything good).

The OP can certainly use the 3.1 pistons and crank. Note that you don't need the connecting rods - they are all the same from 2.8 through 3.4, and the stroke difference is taken up in the compression height of the pistons.

You will gain a nice bit of torque with this conversion.

The stock heads fall off very early in flow, so anything you can do to improve flow will be felt above 4000 rpm. OTOH, given that it is being used in a truck, behavior at higher rpm may not be a big priority.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips/hints/insight. I will be starting this project very very soon!

Comment

Just curious, what type of CR am I looking at with the 3.1 crank , stock rods, and forged flat top pistons?

Comment

nice truck. sounds like a nice project you got going.
                          where about in mass are you im right in the middle
                          sigpic
                          99 Grand Am GT
                          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                          515 515 lift 112 lsa
                          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Originally posted by geldartb View Post
                            nice truck. sounds like a nice project you got going.
                            where about in mass are you im right in the middle
                            We will have to meet up some time, I am in Oxford, not to far from you.

Comment

nice that sounds good. im in Leicester alot and my car along with most of my stuff stays in Leicester.
                              sigpic
                              99 Grand Am GT
                              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                              Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                              1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                              515 515 lift 112 lsa
                              15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Working...
                              X