No announcement yet.

And so it begins! 3.4 Build n' Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the power is depends on which version of the motor you are talking about.

The 2.8 in the Fiero, for instance, has a restrictive intake for the FI. The SFI style upper plenum off the Camaro 3.4 is much better. The FI would give you at least similar power, as well as better drivability and probably better mileage.

Comment

well um...im only talking about two motors. an 84 s10 2.8 thats carbed and a 3.4 out of a 95 camaro...

when i say "the 2.8" or "the 2.8's" this and that...im referring to the 2.8 in the s10 that this swap is about...

Comment

Hi there!

The 2.8 carb. intake isn't a very good intake, topped with an abomination of a carburetor. That carburetor has earned every swear word I've used on it. It's even inspired me to make up new swear words, so perhaps there is some purpose to that wretched waste of aluminum.

Unfortunately you don't have many *good* options. There isn't a smog-legal aftermarket replacement carb. so if you're staying carbureted, you're keeping the stock carburetor.

You can grab an Edelbrock intake and 2bbl. top, which I think has a CARB number. That will help a bit but unless you find a used one, they're not cheap. I've done TBI swaps for less money than a new Edelbrock intake base and top.

After that, it's on to an EFI swap.

1) Ditch the carb. setup and go TBI using all the parts from an '86-'93 S-10. This is a good choice since it will look stock, and can be made to essentially look like a later model engine swap. Use a modified TBI from a 4.3V6.

2) Swap everything from the Camaro in, so it's a complete swap (PCM, harness, etc.) to get the SFI system.

1) and 2) are honestly about the same power. I don't know which would be easier to get past the emissions inspection. 2) may be cheaper since you have a lot of the parts.
        1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
        2006 Pontiac Solstice

Comment

Well, cost is the reason for staying carbed right now since there is nothing else available from th camaro (all the guy had was the engine and trans). The EFI swap WILL be in the pipeline for later of course but i still need to gather info on how and cost of parts.

Comment

The Carb works like any other spread bore Rochester. It really is not garbage but gets the reputation because they are hard to tune and modify for performance. But the people who do figure it out are rewarded with great drivability and great power.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

well it appears that the carb is also gonna go out for a rebuild, maybe even a performance rebuild, when the truck gets parked to be prepped for the engine swap so hopefully that'll help. Seafomed it the other day and my brother says the 2.8 is feeling better, alot smoother.

Comment

Found 2 fuel pumps that interest me, especially the $37 one. Is one recommended over the other or will the Mr.Gasket pump work just fine?
                http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4070/ $80
                http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-12S/ $37

The simplistic design of the Mr.Gasket one (as well as the price) has me looking at it more than the Carter one...any opinions on the Mr.Gasket one?

Comment

Alright got the engine stand assemlbed and ready to mount the engine to...problem though. Since this engine didnt come with a bellhousing or anything like that, there arent bolts like that for me to re-use. Lets say i go to the hardware store or to an autoparts place...what size screws/bolt should i look for?
                  Last edited by Helgaiden; 04-08-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Long M12 bolts just use a tape measure to find the length you will need for your engine stand supports

Comment

i used three inch 7/16-14 (coarse) thread bolts and a 4 inch one i had found in my drawer of bolts that seemed to thread in perfectly fine. Used washers to take away any extra unneeded length and so far so good with that. The tear down has officially started...

only snag is the accessory plate has two TORX screws in it...gonna have to go hunting for something to remove those. I think they are T-50 size.
                      Last edited by Helgaiden; 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Buy a set of Torx bits if you don't have them. You will need them all up to T55 which removed the tensioner bolt.

Comment

yeah a buddy of mine had the torx bits. Got the accessory plate off so then i moved forward and took the valvecovers and intake manifold off. Everything looks pretty good. Whats the suggested way to clean out the engine inside and out? (not sure if i should be worried, a piece of the intake manifold gasket fell into where the camshaft is when i was removing it...)

Comment

If something fell down then make sure you get it. The cam is in a tunnel it is not an open bottom like a small block so it wont make it to the oil pan. If your changing the cam then you should be able to get it when the cam is out.

Comment

yeah i'll be sure to get it when the cam is out then. Cool.

Comment

Question though...very likely to replace some of the gaskets. To put the 2.8's intake manifold on there do i have to use a gasket from a 2.8? I would assume so...but id rather be 100% sure. Also, the valve cover gaskets...that i would assume to get "95 camaro 3.4 v6 valve cover gaskets" as opposed to any for a 2.8 right?

Also...

im trying to remove this thing that looks like a pulley. I think its a harmonic balancer...

I need to find a big enough extractor to get it off...or is there any other way? Anyways, the question is will this need to be transferred over in the swap? I didnt see anything regarding that in what ive read so far. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X