No announcement yet.

2001 3.4l cracks in head deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the block is out, you could have the cracks welded and the deck resurfaced. If it isn't out, you aren't too far from getting it out at that point. A 3400 block with heads and LIM installed WILL fit out the top of a minivan. How do I know? Rebuild on a 98 Trans Sport after a huge LIM gasket failure and stuff looked good to the naked eye (but it wasn't good but is fine now).
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

eng crack pics

If anyone is interested, I have uploaded a few pics of the cracks in the deck of my 3.4. Go to photo gallery, and search "eng cracks". The pics are of the front bank. The cracks are between cyl 2&4 in the water passage. The heads are redone. Looks really nice. Decided to pop for the new head bolts, like EVERYONE said. Dealer said $8.50 ea! YIKES!! Got whole set for $37 at O'reilly. Keep finding stuff to fix, or clean, while it's tore down. But should be done this w/e. The heater hose octopus needs to be dealt with. Again, the dealership tried to get me to help bail gm out. Close to $500 for the deal. TRIPLE YIKES!!! Alot of stuff buried behind there in a minivan. Various parts, with leaks. Bugs. Bigfoot. Jimmy Hoffa. The keys to a womans heart. blah blah....

Comment

Got nessie? LOL

Yeah the typical OEM supplier will rape you. I actually found a local Advance that has a bunch of guys running STI's, EVO's and S/C Mustangs (even a procharged Firebird LSx). I hate the fact that most stores hire cashier's anymore and don't know squat about cars, but hese guys are in to it.

Nothing worse than going to order valve springs and they look under "suspension" ROFL
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

I'm not knocking the dealer completely. In fact, the dealer saved me a little bit. The Oreally??? auto parts I frequent only had a head kit with plastic lim gaskets. The kit had valve guides and seals, throttle body gasket and various orings, and tstat seal all of which i didnt need, for $170. I opted for the fel pro intake kit w/metal gasket. I needed ex gaskets and they wanted 20 ea. 17 at dealer. Cant never find fuel rail orings at parts place. Ive had dealers give me them. Got 1 heluav deal on a new crate 3100 for a 94 baretta, few yrs back. Brand new, lim, front cover, valve covers, oil pump and pan, plus 3yr 50k mi wnty. All for $300 more than long blk reman at AZ. It broke down 18 mo later, and they towed it and fixed it for free!!! But when they do get you, they dont kiss you first!

Comment

My 220,000+ mile 3100 just won't die. I had it close to overheating once when the trans cooler pushed trans oil into the cooling system, replaced several LIMGaskets, but it's a survivor. And it see's WOT and constant high RPMs daily. I hope with all that work you put into it, it keeps on going. A whole new engine could have been cheaper if things don't work out...
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I gotta say, if it was me, I woud be replacing the Block.
              The head bolt goes right there, may not torque correctly, crack more and cause a leak in/out combustion and coolant.
              Not much farther to go, get a nice clean fresh block in there.
              As of April 2
              3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
              ----------------------------
              Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
              Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
              Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
              Injectors: #36 GTPs
              TB: 65mm TCE
              Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
              Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
              Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
              Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

aww man dont jinx me. so far, you are the only "dont chance it" i had. everyone else just slaps me on the back and says, "dont worry, be happy". Did you look at the pics in photo gallery? I am so praying this works!! cant really afford to replace and rebuild it now. blew this one on 12/1, broke cam in 97 m/c 3100 on 12/29. dont need more bad luck. if it does leak, i have a roll of 100 mph mcgyver tape, and a tube of blue glue that will surely fix it!

Comment

ewww just looked at the pics. Who knows maybe it froze but ran fine after that?? Strange I guess over heating could do that too, I've never really looked at an overheated block. Well do let us know what happens!
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I looked at gallery.
                    Sorry, thats why I say to replace block.
                    A lot of torque will be a he one spot due to the head bolt.
                    As of April 2

Comment

Pics...

-Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

That looks really nasty. And from the way the light reflects off of it, it looks like the block has deformed some as well. I would take it out and replace it or have it welded/resurfaced but would prefer it be replaced if it were me
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

^ I agree. With the head bolt putting stress right there, you don't know what it's actually doing when it's torqued and hot. I wouldn't use it as is. If the cracks aren't too deep you may be able to get it welded and re-surfaced, and it may be good enough for daily driving use, but certainly wouldn't trust it with any extra HP. It's in an iffy area... I think I'd just be getting a new block or entire engine. Maybe a low miles donor from a junkyard car.
                          '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                          '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                          13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                          Gotta love boost!

Comment

Another block may be cheaper than a new set of quality head gaskets and intake gaskets
                            As of April 2

Comment

Or a whole engine may be cheaper..........
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                              X