Group Buy Single Roller Timing Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Buy Single Roller Timing Sets

I'm not sure I'm even allowed to do this, however it appears one of the major delays in getting these produced is the financing.

To that end, who is in for making deposits to try and move this forward?

We know the principals here are rock solid and commited, so let's get it done.

Either through the WOT Store or TEC doesn't seem to matter.

Any interest/ideas??

Come on folks!!

1) Asylum Motorsports. Will pay 100% deposit on TWO sets.
    Last edited by asylummotorsports; 10-21-2009, 08:33 PM.

If this is a set that will handle my springs then yes I'll go for it... But if its not strong enough to resist stretch and only prevent gear wear, then I'm gonna stick with what I have. I'm just tired of stretching chains. I remember TCE saying these single rollers are not made to be stronger per-say... but more just reduce friction and gear tooth wear.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

They would still be stronger than stock chain, just not as strong as a double roller.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ERRRRRR Wrong... LOL

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
        The following information is based on my conversations with chain manufacturers/distributors.

In regards to tensile strength, stock timing chains are stronger than roller chains due to their construction. It would be a waste of money to do a tensile strength test of the chains as the longevity of a roller chain comes from the pivot design where the hardened link pin is pivoting inside a smooth hardened tube instead of layers of short holes that were stamped in a die.

Everyone, including myself, always refers to it as chain stretch but the links aren't stretching. Instead, the pivots are wearing out like a door hinge on an old car. A worn chain will sag like that door when you hold it out sideways.

The double roller has two rows of smaller links which gives it more tensile strength but, more importantly, has longer pins that provide a larger wear surface. Double roller pins are about 50% longer but smaller in diameter. Some of the extra wear area is negated due to the reduction in pin diameter.

The only way to accurately test chains would be to run them on an engine as simulating the harmonics of an IC engine would be near impossible.
        So I guess I used the wrong words...

If this roller chain will outlive my Cryo stock one as far as the so called "stretch" goes, then yes I will probably get in on this deal. Since strength is not an issue, I have yet to hear someone break a stock chain.
        Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM.

Got Lope?
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I would think a roller would be less likely to "stretch" because of how the chain is made. It's less likely to wear and get sloppy between the links which gives it the "stretch".
          EDIT: Jon beat me to it. Not reloading the thread before posting FTL!
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

numbers are a big factor. the double roller isnt too bad of a price, but the extra machining is a hassle.
            [SIGPIC]
            12.268@117... 11's to come!
            turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
            ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
              numbers are a big factor. the double roller isnt too bad of a price, but the extra machining is a hassle.
              Exactly why I would like to work with the single roller if it will hold up to the abuse.

Got Lope?

Comment

Well all of this is quite nice, but I guess what we need to know is how many per-orders (deposits) would be required to speed this matter up.

Or is that even a factor that would change the situation?

Comment

You are the one wanting to put it together. Perhaps you should ask Marc to see if he would even be willing to do a group buy, and go from there on numbers.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i want in on this
                    1990 6000 SE AWD 3.1 "The Goose"
                    1995 Beretta Z26
                    1996 Beretta Z25 w/3500
                    1999 GAGT

Comment

I would be down for 2 sets
                      2000 Grand Am GT
                      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

I would buy 2 sets.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I would certainly like to buy one. It would depend on how much they are and my money situation... but I'm definitely interested. I'll need it eventually, if I don't need it already.
                          '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                          '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                          13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                          Gotta love boost!

Comment

We started making a large batch but put them on hold due to slow sales and financing. Since I can easily invest my time, I have been mostly building parts that are labor intensive to minimize cash being tied up in inventory. The majority of costs for building the TC sets is spent on outside services and purchased parts like material, gear hobbing, induction hardening and having custom chains made. The double roller TC sets had a little less investment cost since they were designed around a standard Cloyes chain which could be bought one at a time for a reasonable price and I didn't need to invest in custom chains. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a standard chain that will work for the SR setup but have been unable to to find anything. There are cheap import chains but I refuse to use them as they only have about 55% of the load strength.

Like everything else that is manufactured, higher quantities mean lower prices and I was trying to keep the overall price of the sets down. I will talk to the gear cutter and chain supplier to get pricing on lower quantities. After I get pricing, we can see about doing a group buy.
                            MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                            '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                            http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                            http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Thank You!!

Given the time of year I suppose there is some time for this to develop as most people will be storing their cars for the winter.

But it appears there may be support for a half decent Group effort.

I'll prepay for two sets as soon as a price is determined.

Thanx Again!!
                              Last edited by asylummotorsports; 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X