Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2003 pontiac gp with the 3100 v6. I am wondering what it would take or is it even reasonably possible to put a turbo or supercharger on this motor. I have already seen the top swap threads and everyone has already said put a 3.8 in it but I only have 55,000 miles on the existing motor and would like to use it. I just would like to know what exactly I could do with what I have.

Originally posted by peegh View Post
    everyone has already said put a 3.8 in it
    Not on these forums has that ever been suggested unless its a joke.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yeah i'm new here so it wasn't this one. I just hoped to find someone who had done it so i could see what all is involved. I noticed on craigslist someone selling a supercharger from a ford focus and i'm thinking to myself if someone put one on that thing then someone had to have tried to put one on the 3100 lol

Comment

Lots of people run turbos and superchargers on these engines. You can make some serious power but it's not going to be cheap.. lol
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          Not on these forums has that ever been suggested unless its a joke.
          Chuckle,chuckle,tee hee !

Comment

I'm not looking for serious power. I'm not looking to have to replace or rebuild the tranny cause of all the horsepower. just a little boost. I just thought a bolt on supercharger and exhaust wouldn't be to bad if it was possible. seems like the same exhaust for a 3.8 would work on mine but not positive

Comment

Bolt-on kits are nearly non-existant with these engines. The few that are out there are all by now 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th hand. Having a turbo set-up made is probably the easiest and cheapest solution. You could likely get away with exhaust systems from the 3.8 version (excepting headers) but it's probably cheaper just to have an exhaust shop bend/weld some pipe together for you with whatever muffler you want.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Originally posted by peegh View Post
                I'm not looking for serious power. I'm not looking to have to replace or rebuild the tranny cause of all the horsepower. just a little boost. I just thought a bolt on supercharger and exhaust wouldn't be to bad if it was possible. seems like the same exhaust for a 3.8 would work on mine but not positive
                a turbo setup is going to set you back a grand or more, and if you keep the boost low enough not to hurt the stock trans it's pretty much a waste of money. Boosted 3x00 engines are typically making 400+ HP @ the crank with 10-12 PSI.

I'd swap to a 62mm TB and a 3500 upper intake, then bolt on a set of headers with a good 2.5" exhaust and tune it. You'll see some solid gains. There are also cams available for it, check out wot-tech.com for all kinds of goodies.
                Past Builds;
                Current Project;

Comment

sounds like I need to read up more on the top end swap. More people seem to talk about that than anything else. What kind of horsepower can I reasonably expect doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                    a turbo setup is going to set you back a grand or more
                    LOL more like 3 grand from start to finish and you better do 90% of the labor yourself!

These engines just will never have the aftermarket support for boost anytime soon like a civic or 90* GM engine has.
                    Tuning will cost you a mint, turbo and parts will cost you a new born, and to install it, it might be a leg and an arm with the left ear. Just not cheap.
                    Now if you know your stuff and like to go junkyard hopping, then 500 bucks could get you boosted and it might last you an oil change.
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I agree. I've seen people do "budget" turbo's on these engines. Seems like they are constantly having problems and having to rebuild/replace parts, and never get the results they want either. They never work that well compared to a turbo that is well thought out in advance and fabricated using quality parts and lots of patience (and money).
                      '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                      '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                      13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                      Gotta love boost!

Comment

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/
                        Past Builds;
                        Current Project;

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                          I'd swap to a 62mm TB and a 3500 upper intake, then bolt on a set of headers with a good 2.5" exhaust and tune it. You'll see some solid gains. There are also cams available for it, check out wot-tech.com for all kinds of goodies.

So what I will probably do is start small. I looked at the website and I am wondering two things.
                          1. is the 62mm TB need any modification other that the coolant bypass to work on my car.
                          2. will I have to tune the car when I install the TB. I'm thinking since the gt version runs a dual exhaust that I should be able to get the same cat back system for the 3.8 to work on my car but i'm not for sure. would anyone here know about that

Comment

Working...
                          X