Cam Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Install Question

Looking to install a cam in the future. I have a quick question, I do not have an engine hoist and I have heard that you can lower the engine a little bit and slip it in through the fender area. How hard would this be?
    1999 Grand Am SC/T - 301HP, 365TQ - ARP Rod Bolts, ARP Oil Pan Bolts, ARP Head Studs, Mild Cam, 3500 Heads w/28696 Springs, Ported 3500 LIM & 3400 UIM, GT32R @ 12PSI, Rebuilt Trans, 42.5 Injectors, Racetronix Fuel Pump, TCE Adjustable FPR, SC/T Kit, SC/T Spoiler, Shaved Trunk, WOT-Tech Coil Overs, Solid Rear Laterals w/Poly Bushings, Control Arms w/Poly Bushings, Poly Engine & Trans Mounts, Front & Rear Strut Braces

I believe on some cars people were drilling holes in the inner fender. Not pleasant but it can be done.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by eckoxl View Post
      Looking to install a cam in the future. I have a quick question, I do not have an engine hoist and I have heard that you can lower the engine a little bit and slip it in through the fender area. How hard would this be?

There is no little bit about it. I did it on my 88 z24 and i had all motor mounts removed, passenger subframe removed and alot of prying to bring the front of the block down that far. Its just as much work as dropping the whole motor, you dont need a cherry picker just drop it down on a jack. Also how many kms are on your motor? what if you rip it apart and you realise you need cam bearings? the motor should come out, all bearing tolerences checked.....Which is very hard to do with the motor in the car and it requires some speciality tools. Much easier to measure at the front and the back instead of measuing to the back of the block from the front.

Comment

what car?
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

its on a 5th gen grand am
          MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

Comment

Working...
          X