Equinox upper intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equinox upper intake?

I am considering swaping out the upper intake on my 3400 as the first step in building a hybrid N/A motor. I have some questions about using the Equinox upper intake instaed of the 3500. And, yes I know how tall they are, height will not be an issue.
    How does it compare for flow to the 3500?
    How does it compare for air volume?
    What throttle body bolt pattern does it have?
    Would it require the same or less work to mount on a 3400 as the 3500 upper would?
    Here is a pic of it for those that have not seen one. I actually kina like the look of it.

It is, essentially, a 3500 plenum with a different mounting location for the TB (top versus side). I know Ben has done some flow testing on it, so hopefully he can chime in on some of your questions. Being that it is basically the same as the 3500 plenum, it will bolt up to the 3400 lower with no problems. One big thing I see would be throttle cable routing, depending on how you mount it.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Would be cool to use in a F-body with a 3500 in it. Then use a cowl and face it back, or face it forward coming out of the hood with some sort of ram air bird catcher on it.

It looks a slight bit taller so it might have slightly more volume. The air distribution would be just about perfect to all cylinders. Those are the differences I see.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
        face it forward coming out of the hood with some sort of ram air bird catcher on it.
        quit giving me reasons to go RWD damnit!
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Traction? LMAO
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Ease of gear ratio changes?
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I have not flowed it but I expect it to have better flow distribution than the 3500 LX9 upper.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

How tall is this manifold? Can someone measure it?
                sigpic
                ----------
                BUILT Turbo 3400/4t65e-HD powered Grand AM in the making.

Comment

I have never even seen this manifold, it looks like it would work great in my app so long as i have the hoodclearence....Which i may not have but that can be figured out. Much easier to put the tb on the passenger side this way.

Comment

I wonder if it fits under a S10 hood? LX9 with a turbo anyone?
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Does anyone know if you can reverse it so the TB is still on the trans side of the engine? How about the TB bolts, same as 3500, or is it the two bolt 3400 setup? I am pretty sure the Equinox and Torrent use a drive-by-wire TB.

Comment

I would save alot of charge piping (easily 10') if I could get that on my car. In for measurments of the TB flange bolt pattern.
                        11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                        10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Here are some more pics of the engine for reference, looks to be a 4-bolt TB like the 3500.

Comment

Yeah it's just like a 3500 plenum but re-arranged. I'm sure you can flip it like the others.

Mars, yeah but you'll have to have a hole in your hood for this thing! lol
                            Original L82 Longblock
                            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                              Mars, yeah but you'll have to have a hole in your hood for this thing! lol
                              you say that like its a bad thing....
                              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                              Latest nAst1 files here!
                              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X