Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding aluminum

Hi everyone,

This isn't really a performance question per say, but I think this is a good site to ask my question. There's not really a general tech section here, so I stuck this in pushrod performance. ? Move the thread as you will, I wasn't sure where this should go...

Anyways,

Question is about welding the "white metal" kind of aluminum like the stuff used in our upper and lower intake manifolds and such.

Can this stuff be succesfully welded using a spool gun, alum wire and the correct shielding gas? I remember a while back Mcgavin has welded a nice aluminum flange to a 3400 Upper intake and put a Eaton blower on there. Short of TIG how can something like that be acheived for the average "do it yourselfer" ? Maybe there is a better way ? Brazing ? If there's an easy way of welding that stuff, I would love to practice and learn how to do it.

Comments ??

Thank You.
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

MIG might not be the greatest choice, but it can work, if you're skilled...

the right feed rate and amperage will be the key in this situation... well, even more now.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

TIG would be a better choice but it can be done with MIG.
      87 3.4 4x4 blazer
      3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

That is that durafix stuff, Ben got some IIRC and I'm not sure of his results on cast aluminum intakes... I can't remember.

I thought the main thing when welding aluminum was to have the right type of welder, one that can do aluminum (something with the frequency of the electricity, never read into it), and to have the part free of oxidation as just in the air aluminum forms a thin oxide coating. Stainless steel wire brush prior to welding and sometimes heating up the part really hot will help.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I have had decent luck welding cast intake parts with a Miller 185 MIG and spoolgun setup. Any 110V MIG doesn't really have enough amperage to do aluminum. By the time you invest in a decent MIG and spoolgun setup, you could buy a lower-end TIG setup.

The most important part of welding cast intake manifold parts is the prep work. Clean the parts extremely well. If the part is used, you should consider having the part tank cleaned at a machine shop prior to welding to remove any carbon deposits. Also, bake the part in an oven if possible (not the one in the kitchen). The cast aluminum tends to hold contaminants in the pores of the metal, and this outgasses during welding, contaminating the welds. Pre-baking the part will cook these contaminants out ahead of time. Lastly, pre-heating the part either in an oven, or in front of a torpedo heater, to about 200degF will make the welding easier, as the part won't require as much heat when first starting the bead. This applies to MIG or TIG process.

For MIG, use 4043 filler wire for cast versus 5356.

Marty
          '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
          '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
          '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
          '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
          Originally posted by Aaron
          This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

^That's what I've heard as well. I'm by far not an expert at welding, but I asked one of the guys at the local welding supply shops about welding aluminum with a MIG and he told me you needed a spool gun setup, right shielding gas, and a MIG with enough power because aluminum takes more amps. That's why I didn't invest in a really high end MIG myself. I didn't have the money for more right now and I figured by the time I was ready to spend that much I'd just get a TIG.
            '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
            '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
            13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
            Gotta love boost!

Comment

I have welded cast aluminum and sheet/extruded aluminum with my MIG. The thicker the aluminum, the easier. Welding 14 gauge 6062 T6 is somewhat difficult...

Comment

You can get some really nice Al beads out of a small mig machine with a few tweaks. No spool gun needed!

First, pure argon, no mix. Maybe someone knows why, or if a mix will work, but I couldn't get it to.

.035 wire. The .035 wire is stronger and will be less likely to bunch up in the machine. When setting the feeder tension, go as low as you can that the wire will still feed. It's better to let it spin on the wire when it gets stuck than make a little birds nest.

Tip drilled out to .0625 (1/16, the smallest drill I had). Aluminum expands more as it gets hot, and will clog up in a .035 tip. They didn't have any bigger that fit the machine at the welding store, so made my own.

Keep the line to the gun as straight as possible. Again, less likely to bunch. wound up zip tying the line to crates that were about the same height as the machine all the way to 4 or 5ft from the work.

CLEAN. Kind of duh, but aluminum likes to be cleaned. Sometimes even baking the part can help. Pre-heating can be helpful on thicker or stubborn pieces too.

That's about it, any more advice or info would be great, but it's already done everything I've wanted it to do. It's my friends machine, he welded up some holes in his intake manifold and made intercooler piping. I welded 3 IC's together. I prefer TIG, but this is cheap and works good enough
                Last edited by MidnightriderZ24; 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM.
                [SIGPIC]
                12.268@117... 11's to come!
                turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

I like the replies I've gotten soo far...

Thanks everyone!
                  11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                  10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Durafix didn't work for me, but I was using MAPP gas and left the stuff at the shop. They didn't do it right, but either way keeping a manifold hot enough to work the Durafix stuff is just a huge PITA.

Scott welds aluminum with a 1960s MIG setup so I know it works. You really have to clean/bake the manifold a lot to get the oil out, and when I was having him fix the cracked uppers i would grind a groove where the crack was as well. The aluminum is pourous and sucks in oil/dirt, which will contaminate the weld. Since I have no welding experience, I cannot say how hard/easy it is or any specifics.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

im not sure what gas we were using but in college they had us mig on aluminum, depending on the thickness though its very picky about the machines settings & tig is a lot easier after you learn it initially (the whole pedal thing sucks ass at first but once you get used to it really isnt a big deal).

yes you can-but its going to require some...practice.

also you need to make SURE its wire brushed off any areas that the weld will be touching immediately before welding, & make sure that the brush has ONLY been used on aluminum & nothing else (a brush used on steel or other materials will result in contamination & a shitty shitty weld) & that you get the proper flux. also, its been 3 years but if i remember correctly you will want brass wire brushes, the little kind about the size of a tooth brush. REMOVING IMPURITIES WITH THE BRUSHES & FLUX IS VERY IMPORTANT-brush first, flux right after-& weld. if not your welds will most likely be horrendous.

dont just hop right in on something you care about-practice until you are 150% comfortable & confident that you can do it properly-if you have any doubts...practice more!
                      Last edited by no_doz; 09-10-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I am a welder for a living so I can offer some tips.

You will be able to successfully weld aluminum with a welder such as a Miller 251 or 252, It has a spool gun connection. You wont need any more than that for at home use where production is not an issue. A spool gun is not a requirement either. But if you do use your standard MIG whip it helps to have a short one and you will need a nylon liner for aluminum and the correct drive rolls and a tip with a larger opening does help. It jams easily so that is why spool guns or push/pull guns are the norm in a shop.

You will also need a 100% Argon gas and a SS wire brush for aluminum only. There is no flux needed, but they are available.

When welding ALWAYS PUSH the puddle, even when going downhand. Making very nice welds that mimic a TIG bead is not that hard. When you find a setting you are comfortable with then begin welding. When the crater is full you will hear a distinct sound change to a crackle. Move forward about 1/4" and listen again for the crackle and repeat again. The further you move forward every time the crater is full the more time it will take for the next to fill and the larger the bead will become and the further the overlying whips will appear.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I know betterthanyou already covered what you need, but I found this browsing around on youtube.

4 of the main things you need to know for Mig Welding Aluminum are :http//:www.weldingtipsandtricks.com1. you need a spool gun2. push dont pull3 spray transf...
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                          X