Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldnt think twice even IF (big if) you read the instructions.

But in reality its the oils fault. $15 dollar bottle of E.O.S. at break in is my new insurance...

This treads getting off topic....

Comment

Comp recommends break in additive on every oil change. I am using the Lucas Zinc additive stuff along with Red Line 5W30
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

i'm using the comp break-in lube, plus the crazy oil bath my crankshaft throws on the cam. the only forced oiling for the cam are through the journals.
        Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
        fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

^^^ id say you are pretty close there. just like this question. how do you think the cyl walls are oiled? by the crankshaft splashing into the oil in the pan and bringing it up to the cyl walls? um yah. how about a little idea called bearing clearance? the cam journals also can receive oil this way. through the bearing clearance from the cam journal to the bearing surface, the oil shoots out sideways. if you have a problem with it being oiled this way or through any sort of drainback....drill mod your lifters like crane used to have then cut the lifter guides with the bore cutting tool to oil the lobes better.

Comment

Greed you can buy notching tools to provide lifter oiling. Our lifters are the same diam as a SBC so there are alot of tools out there. But the fact remains that for any street motor with moderate cam lift this will never be necessary.

With the relatively small valves of the 660 head the the lobe lifts and ramp angles anyone on this site is running the spring loads we run will never wipe out an otherwise healthy cam lobe. Defects and lack of proper oil additives aside.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

lets not forget about proper cam break-in. without that, the lobes will end up flat. i was thinking, if i were to get a big flat-tappet cam, i'd just keep the stock valve springs for the break-in period. i'd just make sure the rpm stays low so as not to cause valve float.
              Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
              fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

use Joe Gibbs driven break in oil and all will be well. then anything you want after that....

Comment

Haven't taken a look at this thread until now, LOL. Back from the grave.

Anyway, the reinfocment is the issue actually, it reroutes oil back to cyls 2 & 5 whereas rwd blocks don't have this. There's quite a few 3rd gen camaro owners out there that don't want to switch to fwd blocks and still do a hybrid build. The vast majority of them are sticking with flat tappet cams. There's a potential for cam problems here. Feel free to argue or downplay my thoughts.

Edit- Playing with a gen 3 block and a quart of oil I can see the reinforcing doesn't change the oil path like I thought it did. Still seems like I see more issues with tappets on cyl 5 most often though. Maybe #5 is simply a victim of worn crank bearings more often than not. I still maintain that this could be a potential weak spot down the road, one I'm going to correct on my motor.
                  Last edited by 85maro; 11-16-2009, 11:20 PM.
                  Increasingly I find the difference between a "fact" and an opinion is the number of people who believe it.

3.4 block converted to roller valvetrain with 220/225 cam on 115 lsa, '769' heads with 3500 valves, LS6 springs & porting, twin T04E turbos, 3500 plenum with ported 3400 lower & 'short star' 65mm throttle.

Comment

Working...
                  X