Interchangeable heads and intake on 3.4 camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable heads and intake on 3.4 camaro

So I read you can swap late model w cars heads and intake onto a 3.4 camaro. I know it creates a compression of around 13:1 but thats no worry as im getting pistons and a cam that should blow some pressure off. Is this true though? and is it the LA1 engine that is swappable or LQ1?

it's the LA1.. but if you want the best stuff then get a 3500 top end (LX9). It'll drop your compression down far enough that you wouldn't have to change pistons.. 11.5:1 or so.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

how much modding would be needed?

Comment

Originally posted by b-mo View Post
        how much modding would be needed?
        If it's a 4th gen Camaro, i seem to remember an issue with hood clearance or cowl clearance to the 3500 UIM.. but people have done the 3400 stuff. Forced_Firebird is the resident Fbody expert.. maybe he'll chime in.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
          If it's a 4th gen Camaro, i seem to remember an issue with hood clearance or cowl clearance to the 3500 UIM.. but people have done the 3400 stuff. Forced_Firebird is the resident Fbody expert.. maybe he'll chime in.
          Maybe :P

Cowl clearance for sure on a 3500 UIM. 3400/3100 UIM needs the numbers shaved off to clear.

My fav is 3.4/3500 with tuning. 11.5 or so to one CR, and rape some LT1's.

Got a manual or auto?
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

it would actually compete with lt1's? I have a manual so im guessing i gotta strengthen the gearbox if I put out more than 300 ft/lbs. What kinda numbers would I be looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by b-mo View Post
              it would actually compete with lt1's? I have a manual so im guessing i gotta strengthen the gearbox if I put out more than 300 ft/lbs. What kinda numbers would I be looking at?

Doubt it will be over 300ft/lbs. Yeah it will keep up with a bolt on LT1.

Since you have a manual, you should swap in a '7727 ECM and start with tuning. Once you have that down, do the top end swap.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Alright I'll look into that. So for the top end it would be upper and lower intake manifold right? but wouldn't that have an odd placement for the intake since lx9 are fwd?

Comment

and it doesnt matter what the 1227727 comes out of does it? as long as its one of the 89-9* w cars?

Comment

If you get an ECM out of a V6 car, then the correct knock sensor filter will be in the MEMCAL Lumina 3100 cars is what i pull them out of. Check out car-part.com to get what you need...

EDIT: I am in the process of making some wiring harness adapters so people can just plug and play on the ECM's if you are interested. Haven't come up with a price for the adapter alone, but I am offering the ECM, harness adapter, ECM, chip, chip adapter, and USB datalog cable for $500. There is currently a couple people on the waiting list. I'll come up with a price for the adapter alone as soon as I finish the prototype - just in case you want to buy the rest on your own, but I'm not making any money on the rest of the parts. Even comes with a useable tune for the 3.4's
                    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Sold. Less work for me and less of a chance for errors. So how does that all work? Are they pre setup or do you set it up from this whole datalog thing? And it would all be set for performance with the chip?

Comment

Working...
                      X