So Worried - Flakes In 3500 Oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Worried - Flakes In 3500 Oil...

Well I did my usual oil change yesterday, with Mobil 1 5W30 fully synthetic and an M1-201 extended Mobil 1 filter.

Anytime I change my oil I look over things very well to make sure everything is OK. I wipe out my pan before putting the oil in so I can see if there is anything. There has never been anything... until now...

It's very hard to get a picture, but in the very bottom of the pan there were a number of flakes that were shiny in the sun. Not a WHOLE lot, but enough to notice. There was nothing on my magnetic drain plug, and I kept the oil filter so I can cut it open once I find a correct tool to do so. The rest of the oil I poured I looked at while pouring and I didn't see anything in the actual oil I was pouring, just in the pan on the bottom.

A few of these flakes are bronze in color, a few are silvery, and a few just seemed like a tiny little hard bit of something, sorta whiteish in color. None of them were very big but you could definitely feel the grittiness of them when I ran my finger across the pan to pick them up with my finger.

I have no idea why this would happen, I've been running this motor for 2 years now and I baby it so much I still have never even been to the track! It does seem like this motor uses a bit of oil though, since I have no leaks but oil slowly disappears over my longer oil change cycles. It does not smoke or anything at all though.

Is my motor dying?

FYI my oil is not the color it looks in the picture.
    Attached Files
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

engines NEED to be exercised every once in a while. northstars have the same oil consumption issue, not sure if its for the same reason, but they have a very rough crosshatch pattern in their bores, meaning more oil usage than normal motors, but usually when they let them got WOT through 2nd gear getting on the highway, it helps since it causes the rings to expand, or something similar, its been a while since i read about it.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Well it's not like I never go fast, or it would defeat the purpose of the car! By baby it I mean I usually daily drive it like normal and sometimes will aggressively pass or run up to 110 on the highway, but I don't race all of the time or go WOT everyday.
      SpudFiles
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

usually you get those flakes if you burn up a rod bearing. did you cut open the oil filter and check its contents?
        '86 Grand National

Comment

Is there any chance that you can remove the oil pan and examine the main bearing caps? If you see one or more that are discolored on the edges ...or look burned, then in all likelihood, there is a spun bearing under that particular cap, thus the metal super-heating from from the sudden friction, causing the discoloration. If you can unbolt the suspected cap and eyeball the bearing and condition of the crank journal...you will be able to confirm the condition and then take action to do the necessary repair. If you find nothing amiss under the main bearing caps...the culprit might well be a press or floating connecting rod bearing against a chromed wrist pin. On occasion, engines with chrome-molybdenum rings will fracture and flake off over time as the pistons rise and fall and leave deposits of metal flakes into the oil pan. The metal flakes can also be introduced into the motor during an oil change by pouring fresh oil into a funnel or oil guide that was otherwise used around some type of metal working event and contaminated with metal detritus. Last but not least are the circular bearings supporting cam shaft. From what your description of the flakes are, Tri-Metal Clevite 77 and their brethren will leave the bronze (actually copper) and silver looking debris (either Babbit, lead alloy or even Aluminum Silicate) in the like manner. Cutting off the end of the last used oil filter and flushing the contents with light kerosene into a container will reveal the extent of the contamination. None of this bodes of good news. We will all be sorry if any of these conditions turn out to have occurred in your engine.
          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-19-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            engines NEED to be exercised every once in a while. northstars have the same oil consumption issue, not sure if its for the same reason, but they have a very rough crosshatch pattern in their bores, meaning more oil usage than normal motors, but usually when they let them got WOT through 2nd gear getting on the highway, it helps since it causes the rings to expand, or something similar, its been a while since i read about it.
            northstars only "consume oil" higher miles. 99% of the time they leak from the case halfs not rings.
            [SIGPIC]
            12.268@117... 11's to come!
            turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
            ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

I have never had it done but it might be an idea. If you still have the oil you could send a sample in to a oil analyzing companies to see what they say about it.

Comment

My cars always develop problems when I baby them.
                95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
                94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

MOST vehicles develop issues if they aren't run all over the place at least once in a while...
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

and thats why my car will have the snought run out of it. im gonna use it for the purpose i built it for.
                    sigpic
                    99 Grand Am GT
                    3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                    Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                    1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                    515 515 lift 112 lsa
                    15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Really not much you can do other than take stuff apart and start inspecting... Could be cam bearings or the chain going out on you, since IIRC you did do a larger cam and springs right?

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yes see signature for mods.
                        SpudFiles
                        Theopia
                        Enjoy life online.

Comment

What chain set did you end up using?

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Stock 3500 gears and chain.
                            SpudFiles
                            Theopia
                            Enjoy life online.

Comment

The bottom line here is that you have an engine issue/failure.

Not good news, but if you get on it now you may save it..

Having said that! Another 3500 might be cheaper than saving that one in the long run.

Hell I have seen them for $300 but you have to look.

www.car-parts.com or even ebay are a good start.

But your's does have a serious issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X