help rebuilding a 3.4 rwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help rebuilding a 3.4 rwd

i have a 3.4 im going to be rebuilding for my camaro.

i am looking to port the heads (we are doing this )

cam and spring swap ( i need help with whats best to use )

thinking of buying those 3.4 dohc pistons to put in ( how will these work ?)

and can i get some ideas for more cheap mods that will also keep it N/A i dont rly want to put on a s/c , turbo , or giggle juice.

Well if you go with a Comp or Crane 260 or the Crane 272 cam the engine could easily stand a bit more compression. DOHC pistons will increase compression. I am not sure how much though. Check the calculator, wherever it has moved to.

Porting the heads and gasket matching is almost a requirement with the old iron beasts. I recently cut a set of iron head up on the bandsaw and will have full cutaway pics which you will be able to spot some trouble areas in the ports. I also did a set of Gen II aluminum heads. Give me a few days to get the pics up.

Recently there was some discussion of putting aluminum head valves in iron heads because they have 8mm stems. If you need to rebuild your current heads this is a great idea because there really is not much increase in cost if you can score some used valves. Yes the stem length is the same.

Some people also shown that the older 3.1L MPFI intake flows better than the 3.4L intake. This may also be something to consider.

Do you have a budget?
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

it all depends on what needs to be replaced on to where the budget goes.

im looking to keep it under a grand. btw i get a discount at napa so that makes a big difference

Comment

Well it wont be under a grand if a full rebuild is required. But with just parts you can keep it under a grand easily.

Comment

yea its just for parts we are doing all the work ourselfs.

Comment

The MPFI intakes won't fit in a '93 and up f body. That's why the 3.4 intake has the UIM molded into the MIM. In fact even the hybrid swaps have to use a 3100/3400 upper or modify the 3500 plenum to work.
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

Ahh right the hood. Not used to cars

Comment

Working...
              X