2.8 Gen I LR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Gen I LR2

I obtained a 2.8L LR2 from a friend's dad who swapped a LT1 into an S-10. Another friend of mine and myself are trying to acquire an '82-'86 S-10 and turn it into an off-roader.

I can find plenty of info on the Gen II+, but not the Gen I. Here is what I have come up with so far:

LR2 is RWD for 82-86 S-10. 2 Barrel Carb.

I was wondering if it was possible to swap a set of 3100 aluminum heads to the Gen I block. I know the lifters will need to be changed out but am not sure about the cam. My next question is, if that is possible, could I use a set of 3400 Roller Rockers and 3500 valves on it?

For the FI, obviously I will need all the electronics and fuel lines for the 3X00 Fuel Rail.

Are my ideas flying too far past reality?

You can do all that. But if your plan is for a full 3X00 top end with a new cam and lifters plus fuel injection then I would just do the upgrade right to a 3400 from the get go.

The only advantage to keeping that old block is the engine mount and starter position. But after all the other work you will need to do on the truck to make the heads and fuel injection work then mounts and starter wont seem like a big deal.

If you are truly on a budget then I would try and throw it together with some junkyard sourced large valve iron heads a comp cam 252 K kit and a port match set of heads with a matched up intake. All of this you can do yourself. You would have to check out the clearances in the motor if you want it to last for a descent amount of time.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
    X