supercharger compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharger compatibility

Hi all, I got an iron head 3.4 and I was wondering about supercharging it. I figure I can pick one up pretty cheap from a 3800 bonny or grand prix. Is there a crank Pulley that would be compatible with the 3.4? Any other idea's aside from getting a new pulley machined?

You might want to figure out what you are going to do about an intake manifold before you worry about a pully...
    sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
    - Ben

Comment

It would be easier to go with a centrifugal charger...
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

The stock crank pulley will run the belt needed for the supercharger..
        I have very little trouble building mine.. I'm running an eaton M90 of a T-bird
        and the snought off a grand prix.. put the blower right in the middle of the block had no problem...!

Just remember unless they have actual done it, it's just an opinion and not advice...

in fact if you would like, I could sell you this set up! It's still for sale
        Eaton M90 Modified to fit Fiero manifold base
        http://60degreev6.com/forum/f105/eat...ld-base-t42714
        Last edited by blownarrow; 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM.
        sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

hey thats a interesting set up you have there. is that i carb i see ?
          and what is the difference between the ford m90 and the gm m90 ??
          01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Originally posted by montess408 View Post
            hey thats a interesting set up you have there. is that i carb i see ?
            and what is the difference between the ford m90 and the gm m90 ??
            length.. the gm m90 when belted puts the blower too far back over the distributor ( that was my biggest problem) the ford m90 is shorter put the opening over center of the motor when belted up... the FWD guy will be fine with the gm m90.. but if your running a RWD and Distributor it's a nogo...

oh forgot the ford m90 when rolled over puts the snout on top of the thermostat, so you'll need the gm snout, plus it centers the blower body on the motor
            Last edited by blownarrow; 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM.
            sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

how much boost can you safely run on these setups without needing an intercooler? because I was also considering remote mounting.

edit: just remembered you're running a carb, I'd need to remote mount it anyhow.
              Last edited by Fedaykin; 04-23-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I ran a conservative 6-8lbs. and never had a problem with out a intercooler, but this is also running as a wet set up.. Fuel and Air running through the blower, helps in cooling..

Comment

I ran 7psi for something from 5k - 10k miles before I scrapped the car. That was air cooled though, sticking through the hood. It ran well for being badly tuned for so long. I had aluminum heads though, LA1. I chose the same blower for the same reason, money. It all ends up adding up to a lot of time invested and more money than you had planned on in the beginning.

I would agree that centrifugal would be easier (as it will fit under most hoods, if you care about that sort of thing), but I never found them for cheap, and I've heard far more stories about these units needing to be rebuilt significantly sooner than EATON's root style supercharger. The M90's are so cheap that you would just as easily buy a used one from a yard before actually paying to rebuild it.

Also, 60 degree engines are so cheap, just run at higher and higher boost until you blow one up, then spend another $400 and get a whole new engine

Through the hood for the hillarious win.
                  1988 Fiero GT 5spd
                  1999 Regal GS
                  SOLD 2000 C5 Coupe M6
                  RIP 1994 Beretta Z26 - M90, 3400, MSV3, 5spd

Comment

Working...
                  X