X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild

Hey
    New to the site, heard good things from people on the v6z24 forums
    thought i would join. I drive a 91 cavalier RS 3.1L 3spd.

Last year i rebuilt my motor with 11:5:1 pistons and it work only for a few months then on a rainy day it stopped working, after it would get to operating temp it would die on me. I change knock sensor, crank sensor, icm, throttle position sensor, map sensor, check the compression its fine, ecm, im getting fuel in the injectors, im getting spark(change the gap from stock to
    .25) The only thing i didnt change was the timing chain and i need a chip.
    Now it starts for a second then dies. Anybody have any ideas?
    thanks

starts for a second and then dies? do you have a VATS key? has a little black pellet with contacts on both sides close to the keyring end of the key, and i might be able to hook you up with a chip...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

i dont know how to explain it but it cranks over the rpms go up to 4/5K then a sizzle sound(only way i can it) then it dies
      i do not have a vats key, but if your chip is for high compression im interested
      Last edited by stevalier; 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

i can make custom chips, actually in the process of tuning my wifes 90 grand prix right now. what is the broadcast code of your stock chip?

the "sizzle" sound might be a vacuum leak. that kind of sounds like sizzling and would explain why the RPMs shoot that high for no reason. IAC could also be stuck/non functional. but if it does start, thats at least one good sign. it might die as soon as it switches over from cranking fuel/spark mode to idle spark/fuel...

any more information will definitely help
        Last edited by robertisaar; 04-18-2009, 08:41 PM.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Have you checked your fuel pressure?
          MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
          '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
          http://www.tcemotorsports.com
          http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

another thing: do you have a laptop(or a very easily portable desktop and monitor and a power inverter) and an ALDL cable, if so all the better.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
              Have you checked your fuel pressure?
              oops, almost forgot about the fuel portion of running right.

compression is good, getting spark, then you most likely are having a fuel issue. filter/pump worn to hell?
              Last edited by robertisaar; 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

The broadcast code is the four letters on the eprom? do you need a data log?
                All the gasket are brand new all bolt were torque to spec.
                The iac is brand new. when i was rebuilding i cracked the lower intake, so i had to changed it, it is form a different cavalier forget the year, as well as the upper intake i got it bored out so a bought a spare but worked fine with the cracked one before it cracked.

Comment

when cranking i check with the little nub beside the tb

Comment

fuel filter is brand new changed when i first got the problems

Comment

broadcast code is the 4 letters on the prom, and a datalog wiould definitely help.

and if the way you're datalogging is from your own equipment, scan for codes and try to get a log as its starting. it might only be a few seconds long but it will help. i don't know what you like but tunerpro RT works great for me...
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

if my car would run long enough i could give you a data log

Comment

well, as long as the key is forward, you can get the ECM to spit out information. put it in the run position, connect to the datastream, record, let it get at least a dozen samples, then try to start it, obviously it will still die, but we'll have something to go off of.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                          X