3100 Rev Limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 Rev Limiter?

Hello, 01 GP 3100 with a 3400 TB, gone down the interstate today, put it to the floor at 75 mph, went up to 105 at a respectable pace but then cut out, I noticed when i was taking my foot off there was alot of unused peddal and it seemed as if it started to actually excellerate as i was letting up. Whats the story with that, and is there anywhere i can send the cumputer to get it tuned and eliminate the limiter.

I am in the proccess of putting together a 3400/3500 top end, to put in whwn this motor lets go, it has 220,000 miles and still runs strong, would there be any benifit to putting headers on now?

Thanks
    Carl

If you can't hit the speed limiter in the 1/4 mile then you don't need it raised.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

my question is how the hell didnt you get a ticket?
      '86 Grand National

Comment

there's lots of places on the interstate wher there arent cops for at least 10 miles stretches... so the chances of getting busted are pretty low. no excuse to speed, just fact

and milzy motorsports can fix the speed limiter issue, should you deem it necessary.

but i'll say it now, 105 isn't a whole lot short of where the car itself will be limited due to lack of power/aerodynamic drag. i know my monte dead stock with the small port 3100 would hit the 108 limiter, but it took a while, the large port should go a little farther, especially with a bigger TB, as we all know, it does choke the motors, but a stock motor won't see a HUGE difference
        Last edited by robertisaar; 04-18-2009, 08:56 PM.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          there's lots of places on the interstate wher there arent cops for at least 10 miles stretches... so the chances of getting busted are pretty low. no excuse to speed, just fact

and milzy motorsports can fix the speed limiter issue, should you deem it necessary.

but i'll say it now, 105 isn't a whole lot short of where the car itself will be limited due to lack of power/aerodynamic drag. i know my monte dead stock with the small port 3100 would hit the 108 limiter, but it took a while, the large port should go a little farther, especially with a bigger TB, as we all know, it does choke the motors, but a stock motor won't see a HUGE difference
          that wasnt my point, i do have common sense.

theres no justification for driving that fast on a public road. and i guarentee the tires are NOT rated for those speeds, so the risks of the tires ripping themselves apart are far greater. like dave said(and anyone else with common sense), if you cannot reach the speed limiter at the track, theres no reason to remove the speed limiter.
          '86 Grand National

Comment

I'm not sure if this will work on all cars, but my 1995 gagt with a 3100 ran to 105 then cut like you say. Im out here in tampa racing on the Gandy Bridge when another guy that had the Supercharged GP told me to un hook the tranny harness. Yes the check engine light came on, and yes, I had no idea how fast I was going, but I remeber hitting 105 in 3rd on the auto at around 5000RPM's, then I know it shifted to 4th and ran up to 5000RPM's also when a guy in a mustang said he was hitting 135 before we hit the hump when he let up. I also had the Falken Azeins tires on it that grip like a SOB. But as long as your tires are good enough, try that, it worked on mine..

Comment

so you essentially disconnected the VSS so the computer coudn't tell what the actual speed was. if you disconnected the tranny harness, wouldn't that also prevent the PCM from telling the tranny to shift via the 2 shift solenoids?
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yeah, sorry, it was like 4-5 years ago. But yes, thats what I'm saying. The Vehicle Speed Sensor. It worked for me, I was gonna make a switch to flip it when I was only racing, but never got around to it...

Comment

Working...
                X