GMPartsdirect no more H260 Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMPartsdirect no more H260 Cam

Back on March 3rd I ordered the GM part numbered Crane H260 through GMPartsdirect. This was a huge deal, since it came with lifters for $160. I decided to send them an email yesterday and ask what the hell was taking so long, and they get back to me with:

Part number 12364059 has been discounted by GM, we apologize for the delay. We have been trying to locate the part from another source. We have had to cancel your order due to the part being discontinued by GM and we have been unable to locate the part from another source.
    So now i'm in the market for a new cam. I know crane went out of business, but I figured someone should have them around still.

Can anyone recommend a good Gen 2 Turbo cam with decent manners?
    Last edited by ghrarhg; 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM.

Crane was bought by Scorpion Performance and she be back up soon. GM Performance parts no longer sells any 60 degree V6 performance parts as far as I can tell. The 09 catalog is completely void of any 60 Degree V6 parts except the 3.4L Crate motor.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I'm glad to hear that someone will be continuing Crane cams. How does the Edelbrock cam compare to the H260? Has anyone run it?

A friend of mine is making a parts run to Summit Racing for me, so I could pick up the Edelbrock cam http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku tonight. I don't mind waiting for Scorpion to get things going depending on how long it is, but I'm dying to get this thing running again.
      Last edited by ghrarhg; 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

You can view and compare all the cams here

Comment

Does this mean the 272 cam that was from Crane will be available again hopefully?

Have you considered the CompCams 260? It has pretty similar specs? It should be rather decent manners on a Gen2 Turbo motor. Have you considered a custom grind?
          Brian Edwards
          '73 Trans-Am
          '79 Suburban
          '90 Beretta INDY
          '90 Turbo Grand Prix
          '04 TSX
          '04 TL

Comment

I have compared all the cams before, but there aren't many options with 112+ lobe seperation and decent duration/lift. The edelbrock cam looked ok, and since my friend was running to Summit to pick up some stuff, the edelbrock seemed like the best available, but I think I'm going to run an Engle Cam.

It's the 1602 Grind, still thinking about the 1605 though.

Suggestions?

BTW, Top end will be 3400 LIM and heads w/3500 valves and 26986 springs, 3500 UIM and DOHC 3.5 TB
            Last edited by ghrarhg; 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM. Reason: Wrong Link

Comment

They have a lot of selection. I will add them to my chart. I used one of their cams for the VW engine in my Dune Buggy.

Comment

I decided to go with the 1605H cam TCS5-HYD grind. We'll see how it turns out.

Betterthanyou, page 6 of the same catalog is the solid lifter page if you want to add that to your list.

Comment

I pulled the factory cam out, and I ordered bearings for an SBC. The #1 bearing has two holes in it, which makes sense, but I heard there was supposed to be a groove in it for the timing set. I have a few questions about the cam bearings.

1) Does anyone have a picture of the groove in the #1 bearing

2) I bought a cam bearing tool for and SBC, but it doesn't look like it'll work for removing the bearings in my 2.8. Can a tool be rented from anywhere (like autozone) or do I have to buy one? It looks like I'll need the expandable type that goes in and pulls out is this the case?

Thanks,
                  Jon

Comment

I just use the installation tool to press the cam bearings into the block valley, and pull the two halves out with pliers after cutting them with tin snips (so the bearing contact surfaces don't get damaged).
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

I was thinking about doing that, but how do you get to the first inner bearing. Once the first one is out I could see hammering the second one out but it seems like it would be too far in to cut

Comment

The cam from Engle finally arrived

Here's the specs:

Base circle is 1.200-1.205

Comment

Working...
                        X