3400 heads are they worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 heads are they worth it

so i'm trying to make a decision and need a little help, i'm in the middle of doing a 3400-3500 top end swap on my 95 3100, i'm debating on swapping a set of 3400 heads off of 03 or just grinding on the intake and putting it all back together, i don't want to swap the motor as it's lot more work right now, i know the heads flow better than the ones i have now but how will the fuel mileage be, if it goes down a lot i don't know if i want to do the swap the car is driven daily let me know your opinion!

Id be surprised if mpg went down from bolting 3400 heads on your 3100.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i guess i was thinking that the increase in flow would hurt low speed air flow and thus hurt economy, how much more power are we talking though over just the intake swap approximately 10 or 15 maybe?

Comment

I can't see the heads hurting fuel mileage, unless of course you have your foot buried in it all the time enjoying the new found power, however I have to ask/mention.

IMHO it would be easier to swap engines than re and re heads with the engine in the car.

No?
        Last edited by asylummotorsports; 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

If you don't have a hoist, it would be much more difficult:P
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

3500 heads wont work on a 3100, the combustion chamber would be larger than the bore.

3400 heads and intake will help with MPG actually. I'm still using my original heads, but the intakes helped with my mileage. The car doesn't have to downshift on the highway to pull a steep hill at 70mph with a locked torque converter at 2,000 RPM anymore.
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

decisions suck sometimes! well i think i mite just go with the 3400 heads, there isn't that much work to get them off with the intake off right now any way, and there is more positives than negatives, thanks for the input.

Comment

there aren't any negatives to upgrading to the 3400 heads. they are simply better, or GM wouldn't have put them on. they would have kept the 3100's heads. they won't hurt mileage at all.
                Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Working...
                X