Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HIGH REV'S! I need'em! There addictive like Crack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Children, Don't make me stop this car!

Last edited by blownarrow; 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM.
    sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston19 View Post
      Are you using the 3500 crank? If so, how much is the offset grind going to cost you? Im trying to price it out here, people are shooting me some insane numbers...1400+.......This is pretty much exactly what i wanted to do until i seen the cost on offset grind.....
      Yikes! Not even close.

Im not even spending that much on my crank and machining work combined. With knife-edging and regrind, I wont be looking at more than $600 tops.

P.S. Yes Im using a 3500 forged steel crank and 3500 block.
      Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

BUMP!
        Ok sorry for bringing this tread back but I have a final question?
        Please clear up some confusion...
        Not interested in the aluminum heads...!
        Question: Are all the Iron heads the same 2.8, 3.1, 3.4....?
        what's the cc size? and valve size for them? Looking for as much info in the iron heads as I can get....
        thanks
        sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

the early irons had the smaller valves, stay away from pre-86 castings.
          '86 Grand National

Comment

Kiss high RPMs goodbye then with the iron heads unless you boost the piss out of it.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

when its been proven how much better the aluminum heads are in (probably) every aspect, i really don't see why anyone would want iron. blownarrow, whats the reasoning?
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                Kiss high RPMs goodbye then with the iron heads unless you boost the piss out of it.
                Well I know I can get a consistent 7200rpm out of the setup I'm going with..

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                when its been proven how much better the aluminum heads are in (probably) every aspect, i really don't see why anyone would want iron. blownarrow, whats the reasoning?
                I building a older non-emissions car using a Kateck/Yanko build.
                I'm not only looking for hp (230+/-) but also the Vintage IMSA look.
                I'm using a build of the Kateck motor which is strangely similar to the
                MacPherson's SCORE Class 7 truck, using stock mildly built Pre 86 heads (I have 89 heads) , Custom 2bbl intake (I have) Holley 500 2V (I have), Chevette 360 Rear main seal (I have) Fresh 2.8 and crank (I have), Modified Small block rods 5.70" (I have) But instead of sleeving the block down to 2.4L I'm staying with the 3.5" bore of the 2.8L. I was going to run Cosworth vega pistons, but going with the cheaper Venolia pistons #2643-Dome (Ordered 4 weeks to build...ugh) and will be running the 5spd not the 4spd
                I guess what I was looking for is if any body had any iron head trick up there sleeve's...
                Last edited by blownarrow; 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

your going to have a hard time getting upto ~230hp with irons. you will have to do some pretty extreme P&P work to those heads to pull 7000K and not stall the port. the irons have the egr ports as well. i had mine filled with aluminum. the money you are going to dump into those heads will put you no where near your expected power output. dont mess with the short side runners on either port unless you have notable experience. if you do you will create excessive turbulence in the bowl. the tear-drop behind the intake valve guide should pointing toward the center of the cylinder to help increase swirl. dont just go crazy on port matching on the intake port, the head bolt boss obscures the port and you cant grind it down too far before you break thru. HTH
                  '86 Grand National

Comment

Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
                    your going to have a hard time getting upto ~230hp with irons. you will have to do some pretty extreme P&P work to those heads to pull 7000K and not stall the port. the irons have the egr ports as well. i had mine filled with aluminum. the money you are going to dump into those heads will put you no where near your expected power output. dont mess with the short side runners on either port unless you have notable experience. if you do you will create excessive turbulence in the bowl. the tear-drop behind the intake valve guide should pointing toward the center of the cylinder to help increase swirl. dont just go crazy on port matching on the intake port, the head bolt boss obscures the port and you cant grind it down too far before you break thru. HTH
                    Thanks for your tips/ input... It will be used...

Comment

well... You seemed sorta fixed on using Iron heads, so I wont drag the point. I will say in all candidness that you will have difficulty, (assuming that it is even possible), in getting 230hp to squeeze out of those heads without F.I.

A set of sonic checked, fully ported and chamber shaped iron heads will stop flowing where 3100 heads begin.

Im a person who likes to step outside of the box, so I embrace your unorthodox mentality. (I find it rather interesting even.) However, your expectations of the Iron heads exceeds reality.

Think about this before you spend the crazy amount of money neccessary to get a set of "Iron heads" to perform. Ive tried and failed in the same footsteps your taking now. You should at least use F.I.
                      Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
                        Think about this before you spend the crazy amount of money neccessary to get a set of "Iron heads" to perform. Ive tried and failed in the same footsteps your taking now. You should at least use F.I.
                        Yup, that's what I was saying before - revving and iron heads....

And high power and iron heads - you need forced induction, which does lead to decent power, but still doesn't lend itself to RPM - quite the contrry in fact.

The only reason to stick with iron heads is to retain the appearance (a stock looking Fiero, for instance) or because you don't need more power (some of the V6 swaps into MGs etc.)

Comment

So, iron heads suk. exhaust manifolds suk. I've got a 2.8 v6 with both. SUKS. So how hard is it to change to 3500 heads on a RWD S-10? there is no TBI manifold for those so I'd have to change the computer, fuel pump, and a bunch of other junk to get all that to work. But will it pass emissions in Arizona?

Comment

moving from tbi to port fuel injection is a pretty sure thing that emissions will improve...
                            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                            Latest nAst1 files here!
                            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yes, because its more efficient it makes more HP and produce less emissions. But, will it pass a visual inspection in AZ?

Comment

if the emissions people don't like the fact that you're producing less emissions and fail you for it, tell them to fuck themselves....
                                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                                X