Questions: 3100 Top end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions: 3100 Top end swap

Hi guys i recently picked up a 95 Corsica. Its 3100 powered motor, and wanted to see what was the easiest top end swap to do....I know that the 2000 + heads/ manifolds flow better. My motor baseline is rated 155hp/185tq.... Would a stock 3400 top end be a decent power increase for a budget. I already have headers and a 2.5" exhaust system from my old 96 Corsy that died. Any help or ideas on the subject would be greatly appreciated. I went today to junk yard and pulled complete top end from 2000 Monte Carlo...cost me few hundred bucks. Car had 65,000 round about mileage on it.

I believe to start i would need heads, upper/lower intake, egr adapter, and a coolant line, anything thing else i might me missing...do i use 3100 head gaskets, and 3400 intake gaskets for the larger ports....can i run the injectors and harness from the Corsica.
    Last edited by 89corsyLT; 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM.

planning on tuning it?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yea would assume i would need to finding a company that does it. I do beleive wot-tech has tunes for full 3400 swaps. you have any info that i could use?

Comment

Originally posted by 89corsyLT View Post
        Yea would assume i would need to finding a company that does it. I do beleive wot-tech has tunes for full 3400 swaps. you have any info that i could use?
        nobody can tune a obd1.5 vehicle without a tech2, which last time i checked was around 5000!.

i'm working on a 1.5 to 1 swap at the moment, but couldn't tell you how long it'll be before its done
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          nobody can tune a obd1.5 vehicle without a tech2, which last time i checked was around 5000!.

i'm working on a 1.5 to 1 swap at the moment, but couldn't tell you how long it'll be before its done
          So i'm pretty much in the same boat as you....I'm on a budget anyhow so it would take time 4 me to get tuning ,etc. I also have a 96 corsy...i beleive that obd2, milzy motorsports does tunes for them. I was goin to run the topend on my stock ecu but really done know how that would turn out i'm sure its only going to be a 20-30hp gain over the stock 3100.

Comment

yeah, the 96 is obd2 but its pretty much worthless from what i've been told, compared to the 97-up pcm
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Easier to go to 96 OBDII setup. www.bstuff.com has a swap how-to for L bodies. You can then use a 97 Venture ECM with that (if you have a tuner, like DHP)

It won't be 20-30hp gain even with tuning... lol Well if you count the 3100 you have as 155 now. Mine says 165hp, some say 160hp, so probably 160hp is a good middle to say.

With tuning you could get to 175hp which is what the new 2000 3100's are. With your exhaust that's more power there.

You don't *need* tuning but can gain more power from it. You will need it if you go cam/turbo/bigger engine swap/etc. A 3400 swap runs without a tune but can make more power with a tune.

Use the 3100 head gaskets. Use metal intake gaskets for 2000+. And you'll have a long lasting motor.

Yes if you don't tune, use the corsy fuel stuff. The stock ECM will run best with the original stuff over larger flowing newer injectors and higher pressure FPR.
              Last edited by IsaacHayes; 03-30-2009, 11:57 PM.
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                Easier to go to 96 OBDII setup. www.bstuff.com has a swap how-to for L bodies. You can then use a 97 Venture ECM with that (if you have a tuner, like DHP)

It won't be 20-30hp gain even with tuning... lol Well if you count the 3100 you have as 155 now. Mine says 165hp, some say 160hp, so probably 160hp is a good middle to say.

With tuning you could get to 175hp which is what the new 2000 3100's are. With your exhaust that's more power there.

You don't *need* tuning but can gain more power from it. You will need it if you go cam/turbo/bigger engine swap/etc. A 3400 swap runs without a tune but can make more power with a tune.

Use the 3100 head gaskets. Use metal intake gaskets for 2000+. And you'll have a long lasting motor.

Yes if you don't tune, use the corsy fuel stuff. The stock ECM will run best with the original stuff over larger flowing newer injectors and higher pressure FPR.
                Ok yea that makes a lot sense.I think i'm going to have her run off the stock ecu for now. And do the change over to venture set-up...I know a guy locally that has a DHP. Thanks,Now I have what i need to get goin. So I'll be probably looking at 140ish whp. That's good enough for a daily driven car, enough to mess with some civic's, etc. I definitely work on the exhaust aspect of the car let her breath. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                X