Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a '91 Firebird 3.1L

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I currently own a 1991 Pontiac w/ a 3.1L MFI engine that I bought for cheap. I really liked the style of the car so I had some body work done and had it painted. Now that I have this sporty looking nice car I noticed it lacks a little bit in the power department. I was just wondering if any of you kind folks would give me any pointers on how to get some more power to the wheels. Everything on the car as of now is completely stock.

Thank you,
    supermar82

i might be wrong but this engine should be sfi...cold air intake-good flowing exhaust-underdrive pulley set-& a chip from wot-tech.com should net you some nice gains also if you want, gasket matching as well as cleaning up some of the casting flaws gently with a dremel certainly would help your cause, just dont go overboard!!

also, welcome to 60*V6!! everyone here is very helpful-just watch how many threads you make at a time, because a few of the mods will have something to say about it if you use that new thread button too much :P
    Last edited by no_doz; 03-18-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

like him idk if its fi or what. but i dont think ben makes chips for them. i say put a 3.4l in it. would be the pickup you need and should be an easy swap.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah 3.4 is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to start. I went from a 2.8MPFI in my 88 into a 3.4 MPFI from a 95 and the power difference in night and day, and the swap was super simple. I posted my swap onto one of the other threads for reference... see if I can find it.

Comment

I don't know how to paste a link but look for ' Succesful 3.4 Swap ' in the engine swap forum.

Comment

hey guys thanks for all tips! i happen to come across and electronic turbo system which apparently works great on my car but the cost is about 400 bucks and i don't know of anyone who has used one or even heard of one. here is the link if you would like to see for yourself!

let me know what you guys think.

thanks for everything,
            supermar82

Comment

Steer clear of that crap. Electric turbos are junk none of them work.

Your car has an Iron Head 3.1. With Multi Port Fuel Injection (Non Sequential) the ignition uses a common GM HEI Electronic distributor. It is a different fuel injection system than the 3.4L Found in F-Bodies after 93 and also a different ignition system.

Before we tell you what to do why don't you tell us how much money you are willing to part with. Otherwise one guy will tell you to spend $50 on a K&N air filter and another will tell you to spend $3000 on a turbo system.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Hey the white one looks like Princess Vespa's hairdryer in Spaceballs heh... hmmmm the wife's blows cold air I should try it. I couldn't see any dyno charts on that JC Penney site there I'm wondering what vehicle the 56hp gains were on.
                But seriously now, I bought my 95 donor car for $500 with a hummer on the passenger side front fender and a broken shifter cable. I pulled the motor and seats for my 88 and parted the rest of the car for a little more than a grand so far and I still have $500-750 in parts left. But what I'm really getting at is if you don't mind doing a little work and getting dirty, you can make some money and get free motor or even just buy a wreck for the motor and toss the rest away, but I'm sure you can get the whole 3.4 for as much as that turbo is and get good reliable power gains. Nice thing about buying a wreck is that you can hear the motor run before you drop it in the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                  Steer clear of that crap. Electric turbos are junk none of them work.

Your car has an Iron Head 3.1. With Multi Port Fuel Injection (Non Sequential) the ignition uses a common GM HEI Electronic distributor. It is a different fuel injection system than the 3.4L Found in F-Bodies after 93 and also a different ignition system.

Before we tell you what to do why don't you tell us how much money you are willing to part with. Otherwise one guy will tell you to spend $50 on a K&N air filter and another will tell you to spend $3000 on a turbo system.

well i am willing to part with about 1500.00 or so.

Comment

But remember all of your ignition and injection/intake will swap directly to from your 3.1 to a 3.4 with you factory OPD1, if you want stick to that. It will work with the SFI intake and DIS of the 3.4 aswell... really no more difficult than changing your underwear, and in some cases maybe not much dirtier either...
                    DO IT!!! You'll be glad you did! And then worry about the aluminums later

Comment

Working...
                    X