Gen3 Rollers on 94 Gen3 heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen3 Rollers on 94 Gen3 heads

Just thinking what other bolt on's that could be done to my "seasoned and experienced" 3100. What if I were to take some roller rockers from a 96+/etc 3x00, and machine off the tabs that fit in the notches in the head. My heads don't have notches, but have pushrod guides. So in theory if you just machined those tabs off flush, it would just be a bolt on?

Also, I can't remember, but can you take off the rockers by only removing the valve covers? I'll toss this idea if I have to un-seat the LIM as that is sealed once and forever for this motor.

I wonder if the HP is even worth the mod though... What maybe 1-2 crank HP? Or more than that?
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Your geometry won't be right unless you machine it for the proper install height. They weren't designed for guides. I would swap heads long before I went through all that trouble. 3400 heads would be a significant improvement over what you have right now.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

How come heads with notches that didn't come with the rollers can be swapped to rollers then? Like some 95 heads, or 96 heads that got ball/pivot from the factory?

This motor has too many miles to be swapping heads, I'd go to a new motor before I swap heads.
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Because you aren't using both the pedestal and the guide like you are talking about doing.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

just put on some 3400 heads you SOB lol

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Why would the guides cause a problem? They would just be there to keep things in alignment since the slots wouldn't hold the rockers in position...

bob442: If you pay for them and the gaskets! With as many miles on my motor, it's not worth it. For the cost of heads+gaskets I could get a low mileage 3400. But I'm not swapping motors until either this one blows up and I *have* to or I have a different DD, and a place to actually swap one myself.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I don't think the guides would cause an issue but the way it is bolted down could be a problem. The stock stamped rockers have locking nuts that screw down on the stud. That plus the separate fulcrum piece acting as a washer will keep any side to side motion from backing the nut off the stud. With the pedestal mounting, the pedestal is designed to sit in a fixed position (with the tabs on the bottom) and it has a bolt go through it. Any side to side motion of the pedestal against the bolt could potentially make it back out.

I'm sure you could figure something out to make it work but it probably isn't worth that much work just for the negligible increase in power. If you save up for full rollers and studs you could use those on the motor you have and in any later motors you may decide to swap in to your car. With clearance for the LIM any narrow body rockers for the center bolt chevy motors should fit the 60 degree motors.

Comment

Ah, I see, I didn't think of that. Thanks for explaining that.

Yeah it sounds like too much work then. Was just an idea. I'm trying to think of all "bolt ons" for this old motor until it goes... hehe.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I'm sure you could figure something out to make it work but it probably isn't worth that much work just for the negligible increase in power. If you save up for full rollers and studs you could use those on the motor you have and in any later motors you may decide to swap in to your car. With clearance for the LIM any narrow body rockers for the center bolt chevy motors should fit the 60 degree motors.[/QUOTE]

Are there any stock motors in a junk yard that have those? LS1 LT1?

Comment

Working...
                  X