X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 Impala Engine Mods

Hey im from over at NAIOA.com
    A few questions for everyone.
    Ive heard you guys are the experts in 3400's so i felt the need to post here

Im looking to mod my 3400 alil further. I have:
    NAIOA FWI V2
    ZZP DP,MagnaFlow Hi-Flow CAT
    Intense Poly Mounts
    Intense 180*Tstat.
    SLP Powerflo SS Catback Exhaust.
    Intense-Racing PCM

I was looking at doing the Upper and Lower intakes port and polish and 65mm TB

If possible looking into heads and cam also

Or would it be a better idea (performance wise) to go for the 3500 top swap
    I really dont like the look of the 3500 upper but hey...

Also looking for someone close to Louisville KY to possibly do it. I love the products on the store from BEN but i live closer to Milzy. So i might have to take it to him to install it..

Any suggestions.
    Thanks

just because you live closer to milzy doesn't mean you should buy any of his stuffjunk

if you want the best parts possible, go for the 3500 top end swap. easy, and good gains, especially with port work.

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
    Cammed 3500 --> ???
    1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

are you telling him to do heads/cam AND 3500 top end?

Comment

In order of cheapest to expensive. This is what I would do depending on how much $$ I had to work with.

Ported manifold set plus 62mm tb would give nice gains. I woudn't recommend a 65mm tb unless you are going with a high hp setup.

For a little more $$ do a stage 2 cam and ported lim/uim w/ 62mm tb. Stock heads flow decently enough for that cam. Or get the street performance heads.

Best option would be a 3500 topend swap and have your 3400 UIM ported to match a 3500 LIM for an easy install. Wot can port you an upper to match a 3500 lower. This way you won't have the ugly 3500 UIM. Wot-tech Stage 3 cam and a 62mm Tb. Maybe a 65mm but i'm not sure you would benefit much from it. With that setup should will lightly modded l67s a run for their money on a N/A 3400 .

FYI wot-tech porting > milzy anyday of the week. Trust me and the many happy other customers. At minimum buy wot products and milzy could install them for you if needed.

Look how clean my engine looks with Wot-tech manifolds. They clean and paint the manifolds if you order from them.
        And No ben is not paying me to say all of this.

That engine has wot-tech Street/strip heads, competition manifolds, 65mm tb, 1357 cam, 11:1 pistons.
        Last edited by blackbombshell95; 02-12-2009, 10:49 PM.
        Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
        02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
        www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

well he is talking about a place to do installs, not buy parts:P I have no idea what shops are around, what they charge, and the quality of their work. Everyone I know personally would be futher away from you as well, at least that I know can do the work.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedBird View Post
            just because you live closer to milzy doesn't mean you should buy any of his stuffjunk

if you want the best parts possible, go for the 3500 top end swap. easy, and good gains, especially with port work.
            I didnt mean to say i was going to buy his stuff, just wanted to order from WOT, and have milzy install it. Unless i can find some place else.

Comment

If i could get away with $2500 tops. I have no clue what HP im putting out now, or what id be putting out then. Plus to have someone help me or install it all together is where it will get pricey. Id hate to have to drive 4 hours to get my car worked on but.....

Comment

what about tunning? im not sure how much you can get away with with out a tune. i know on my car it ran slower that a stock 3400 with out a tune, but that was with 2.8 ecu/injectors also. just something else to think about

i also recomend wot-tech, ben has good products and does great work
                sigpic
                88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

I have a tuned PCM now, but i guess it needs a new one if i decide to go this route. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. Thanks guys

I love this idea
                  Best option would be a 3500 topend swap and have your 3400 UIM ported to match a 3500 LIM for an easy install. Wot can port you an upper to match a 3500 lower. This way you won't have the ugly 3500 UIM. Wot-tech Stage 3 cam and a 62mm Tb. Maybe a 65mm but i'm not sure you would benefit much from it.

Comment

Where did most of you guys get your stuff installed? Can a good shop do this?

Comment

for the top end that would be your best choice IMO. there ive heard s&s headers give you a pretty good gain too. i kinda did all mine at once so i couldnt tell ya lol

me and a buddy did all my work, i would imagine any decent mechanics shop around could do it. just gotta make sure you tell them what your doing/parts you have and what gaskets to use (if you dont have them)
                      sigpic
                      88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

yeah, if you're going to have a shop do it look to spend probably just shy of a grand to put on heads and intakes. a LIM job would cost you about 600ish, depending on where you go, plus removing the heads and exh. mani's and installing the new ones on top of that. headers will cost you about 500 more plus however much they'd charge you to install them while it's all apart.

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
                        Cammed 3500 --> ???
                        1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

Ben sells the best parts for the 60* v6 engine, no others compare. The performance parts that I have came from him, everything else has a GM part # on it. My hybrid is awesome but it doubled the fun when I put a set of S&S headers on it. To create more HP you need to put more air in the engine which means you have to get more air out. People with the best numbers (HP/Torque) run headers. Oh yea, one other thing, "BUY YOUR PARTS FROM BEN AT WOT-TECH.

Comment

I plan on it. If money permits..

Comment

I work with a mechanic thats been in the bizz almost 30 years. He's been in dealerships doing driveability, worked with Snap-On training technicians to use diagnostic equipment, etc.
                              I told him about fooling aorund with my 3100. I said,
                              "I added 3400 intakes an TB to my small valve small port 99 3100 but I want to add the 3400 heads.. will that operate outside the range of the engines sensors?"

He told me no. He said that I should use the newer style injectors as well. My next question was about the injectors... I was curious to know if they'd work by wiring them in, and I told him they are 21 pound injectors compared to the 15 lbs injectors in it now. he told me not to worry about the injector lbs for my application... that it was the duty cycle that was important.

I think if you do the LIM and the upper... add a nice big TB, free up your exhaust manifolds... you'll be quite happy. who knows... I drive a Malibu, which is lighter than the Impala.

Comment

Working...
                              X