Picked up a shortblock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a shortblock!

I just picked up the shortblock today, its in pretty darn good shape by the looks of it:

I hit one little snag though (apart from getting lost trying to find the guy), my hired help (by verbal abuse) bailed on me, and this thing is way to heavy for me to move on my own. So right now its stuck in my trunk until I can find someone to help me move it

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Originally posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I hit one little snag though (apart from getting lost trying to find the guy), my hired help (by verbal abuse) bailed on me, and this thing is way to heavy for me to move on my own. So right now its stuck in my trunk until I can find someone to help me move it
    Really? I was able to lift my 3400 out of the back of cherokee by myself.

It wasnt all that easy but not impossible to do solo.
    Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

Engine crane FTW!
      2000 Grand Am GT
      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

holy block heater!

Don't try it on your own, it's not worth messing up your back. that's an easy 250-300 lbs.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
          Really? I was able to lift my 3400 out of the back of cherokee by myself.

It wasnt all that easy but not impossible to do solo.
          I'm not He-Man (wtf kind of a name is He-Man anyway), I'm a skinny pasty white guy with not a whole lot of upper body strength (but I'm working on that). The funny thin is a couple months ago I wouldn't have been able to lift it AT ALL, free gym membership rocks

Anyway I did get help from a buddy of mine and managed to get it downstairs without too much fuss (minus some dirty carpet I had to clean afterwards). So right now its sitting in the storage room waiting for some love. Once I clean up the workbench I'm going to take it apart and start cleaning it. SO EXCITED!

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

Originally posted by onefastV6 View Post
            Engine crane FTW!
            Heck, I used mine for the rear axle for my truck! If you have it, might as well flaunt it (and not kill your back)!
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

3400 or 3100 block?
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                3400 or 3100 block?
                Its a 3400 block, I double checked the cylinder diameter (bore) to be sure, and it has 3.4 on the side. He said it came from an '05 Impala but I'm not sure if I can confirm that at all.

Comment

More Picture:

Comment

Looks clean! No sign of intake manifold leaks.
                    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I am actually very impressed with it upon further inspection, which makes me think the ONLY thing it will need is a good cleaning and maybe a hot tanking just to clean it up. Which leads me to my question.

I've been doing research recently about cleaning this and actually taking it apart and come across a few things.

1) I've read that to remove the pistons you need to push them through the top of the engine block. Now my question is can the bottom section of the block be separated from the top portion without taking everything with it right? It's essentially just a cover? I guess I'm a little confused at how you actually access the pistons.

2) I just wanted to get opinions on how to actually clean engine internals. I have heard you can use hot, soapy water, hot tanking, number of things but I was wondering what you guys do.

Comment

just remove the rod bolts on the crank. tap the assembly out the top. after hot tanking then use hot soapy dish soap.
                        [SIGPIC]
                        12.268@117... 11's to come!
                        turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                        ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Working...
                        X